HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So .... Has anyone painted a fishing rod?

Post Thanks / Like

I've painted several rods for people when building custom rods.

If a rod has a shiny or smooth finish you need to take that off. I typically utilize 220 grit sand paper to take off the sheen and then finish it off with 400 grit. After sanding I'll utilize denatured alcohol to remove any residue. Remember, light sanding only. You only want to take off the existing finish and not dig into the rod blank.

All of mine have been done on the blank only without any guide eyes. I purchased many rods from garage and yard sales, brought them home, stripped off the guide eyes, sanded them, painted them, put new eyes on and then donated them or given them away to people.

Rattle can pant is all that I have used. On a two section rod, I use a sacrificial end piece to fit in to the top section. I built a wire type stand to hold the bottom while I paint the top. This sacrificial piece allows me to paint the upper without having a paint ring on my "real" lower. On the lower, I use a stand that has a hole bored in it to hold the but section up. I then paint the lower after I tape off the handle (if one is on it). When Fitting the two pieces together, I sometimes need to lightly sand the joint.

For finish, you can leave just the rattle can paint expecially if using High gloss. I have not seen any cracking issues with it. After putting the eyes back on I will also use some furniture paste to bring out a nice shine. We have also been playing with a new product (an epoxy) that you can coat the entire rod with. Very light weight product, looks really nice on the rod but... It is a ton of work.

Another option for people interested: Photoluminescent paint. They also make tape if you want something quick. With photoluminescent paint, it will gather light from the days sun and then glow in the dark. The good stuff will glow for 8 hours or more.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes BobB LIKED above post
    Thanks skunked again thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I just built a rod building jig, gonna try my hand at redoing some this winter. Assuming we get a winter, and I'm not fishing!
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I've painted several rods for people when building custom rods.

If a rod has a shiny or smooth finish you need to take that off. I typically utilize 220 grit sand paper to take off the sheen and then finish it off with 400 grit. After sanding I'll utilize denatured alcohol to remove any residue. Remember, light sanding only. You only want to take off the existing finish and not dig into the rod blank.

All of mine have been done on the blank only without any guide eyes. I purchased many rods from garage and yard sales, brought them home, stripped off the guide eyes, sanded them, painted them, put new eyes on and then donated them or given them away to people.

Rattle can pant is all that I have used. On a two section rod, I use a sacrificial end piece to fit in to the top section. I built a wire type stand to hold the bottom while I paint the top. This sacrificial piece allows me to paint the upper without having a paint ring on my "real" lower. On the lower, I use a stand that has a hole bored in it to hold the but section up. I then paint the lower after I tape off the handle (if one is on it). When Fitting the two pieces together, I sometimes need to lightly sand the joint.

For finish, you can leave just the rattle can paint expecially if using High gloss. I have not seen any cracking issues with it. After putting the eyes back on I will also use some furniture paste to bring out a nice shine. We have also been playing with a new product (an epoxy) that you can coat the entire rod with. Very light weight product, looks really nice on the rod but... It is a ton of work.

Another option for people interested: Photoluminescent paint. They also make tape if you want something quick. With photoluminescent paint, it will gather light from the days sun and then glow in the dark. The good stuff will glow for 8 hours or more.
    Some great info there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend the "Get Bit" series on You Tube put on by Captain Kevin Brotz. I think it is a 12 video series and he goes through everything from start to finish. Probably the best one I've seen out there.

I promise, in short order you will be rebuilding all of your rods, ordering new blanks, finding them at garage sales... it is addicting and a nice way to pass time in the crappy winter months or when it is pouring rain outside.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Thanks BobB, skunked again thanked you for this post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So .... Has anyone painted a fishing rod?

Like G mentioned use a paint designed for plastic as it will flex with the rod ...

Name:  AAFC62DA-4CC6-4EDD-88FD-874744005D3E.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  33.8 KB

My Wally Marshall's have been painted about 15years now without a chip one ...and I only prep with acetone (just damp not wet) ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the same paint from Walmart. Mine was red paint on sale. I painted about a foot of the rod red, including tip and the line rings. No special prep except damp paper towel wipe down. Beauty is in the "eye" of the beholder.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Crestliner08, BobB LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Four of my most used crappie rods have the tips painted. I did this because my eyes are not what they use to be and I wanted to differentiate between which rods were being bit.

I went to a craft store (Michaels) here and picked up a set of fluorescent colored paint, under the name "Testors". This selection had various colors in it. I selected the green and yellow chartreuse. What I did with these B n' M rods was to use a 3/0 steel wool to "roughen-up" the surface finish of each rod. I did this to about the last 8" near the tip top.

Then I used a craft paint brush and coated the roughened section with a white base coat. I let it dry overnight (very important!). Then I applied the color over that and let that dry overnight as well.

Finally I got a bottle of "Hard As Nails" clear nail polish (Sally Hansen) from CVS. This I coated over the painted section on each rod. Have had these rods in use for about 3 seasons now and though they may be a bit "scuffed" in some small areas, they all look and perform their functions just fine. No problems, no worries.

Not hard to do and it has made a significant difference in my perceived strike reaction time. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I took a brand new Remington pump right out of the box many moons ago and gave it a camo job with flat finish Krylon and it still looks like I did it yesterday 20 plus years later. good spray paint for sure , painted an entire 57 chevy pick up with about 20 cans back when I was late teenaged crazy as well ...AND it looked right nice in a flat black with silver and blue flames .....
    so in synopsis I would say it should work well on a fishing rod ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I used fluorescent marker paint, it started chipping off after a couple of years now it needs to be repainted.
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.....good to know the bad too

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12