HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reels?

Post Thanks / Like

I have shimano Sedona's . I have run into this problem. It is some kind of washer problem. I would love to know how to fix it. All the new shimanos will do it if you get them wet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a Shimano guy for years . Switched to pflueger Presidents and have had no issues . I use no line larger than 6 lb. , all mono . I prefer the 6925 over the 6920 . for my light action rod a 6930 gets the 6 lb. line

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a little primer for those who might be interested. A Shimano Stradic FK bought at Bass Pro in Nashville will cost 199.99 plus about 20 bucks state tax. So you are looking at $220.00 out the door. A Shimano Stradic FK out of Japan can be delivered to your door for $165.94 if ordered today......that can go up or down depending on dollar to yen rate. Is it the same reel...yes and no. It is made in Malaysia same as the models sold in the states. But...the line of reels going to Japan out of Malaysia are inspected by Japanese QC folks. Reels don't get sent to Japan with bushings that swell. The difference in the two reels are a few different parts and the 2004HGS model has a shallow spool....holds about 100 yards of 2# test. I personally like shallow spool reels. It is a great UL reel for a lot less money than you would pay here if one is looking at a Stradic. You have no warranty....there is a warranty but you would have to get it back to Japan so it is same as no warranty. I seriously doubt if one purchased the Stradic out of Japan that it would ever fail during the warranty period. Just some info for those that might be in the market for a Stradic FK. A Stradic ci4 2000HGS out of Japan is around 50 bucks less delivered to your door. Both the Japanese models I listed here are the the same size as the 1000 series reels.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Thanks martyjmc66 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stradics for everything. From creek chubs to "paper" red drum. For just crappie fishing with minners, cheap Daiwas from Dick's fit the bill.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have a shimano biomaster sc84f size3000 like new but every once in while it gets a tight spot .I haven't been able to figure out why so I don't use it .I have 3 shimano spirex that I use a lot for over 10 yrs. with out any problems.does anyone know what causes the biomaster reels to bind up ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ichabod View Post
    I have a shimano biomaster sc84f size3000 like new but every once in while it gets a tight spot .I haven't been able to figure out why so I don't use it .I have 3 shimano spirex that I use a lot for over 10 yrs. with out any problems.does anyone know what causes the biomaster reels to bind up ?
    That is caused by a plastic bushing that swells when it gets wet.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

where is the plastic bushing at in the reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ichabod View Post
    where is the plastic bushing at in the reel?
    The bushing is on the shaft. Even a new Stradic FK has a bushing on the shaft......and that is a 200 dollar reel. Many folks however who buy that Stradic FK will change that bushing out with a bearing. There are also bushings in the handle. In many cases bushings are not necessarily a bad thing. Shimano has somehow managed to keep using bad bushings in some of their reels. It is certainly not necessary to spend a lot of money to have a decent spinning reel.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Shimano for decades. Still use (2) 35 yo baitcasters. Now that I have to choose between a new car or new reel, I have migrated to Okuma and Lew's for spinning and baitcasters. These are both top shelf reels for less money.
    Likes timmah LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We own and use at least 13 pflueger president 6920 reels between my family and I. The only time I've had issue with line dig or even looseness has always been directly related back to either the line itself or the technique used to spool the reel. Normally we use exclusively powerpro 15 lb original braid and with that line it's always been a perfect relationship. But we tried gamma braid once and every reel spooled up loose and sloppy. That particular line was used once and thrown out like a bad dream. I believe the pflueger 6920 reel is as good as it gets for spinning reels, but for shallow water 12ft or less the locking mini bait casters like reels are superior. They are super light for ultra fast reaction hooksets, and no drag to slip and miss. The extra weight and slip of the drag for quick hook sets in shallow water for me is not tolerable, and when you are late you miss that tough roof of the mouth and hook in the soft lips. You can land those fish but often they flop off at the surface and come off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast