Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling in Large Pond?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling in Large Pond?

Has anyone on here ever tried long lining for crappie in a large pond 20+/- acres? I have access to one that the average depth is 8-10', deepest spot I marked was around 15' along the dam. Thinking about giving it a shot this weekend since it literally 2 min from the house and I can get my 20' alumacraft in it.

Ant tips?
    Likes FisherFore, BigDawgg, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It will work but as always it depends on the supply of the targeted species. I had good success in the Greenville, SC area long lining for Crappie in a fairly large pond about 35 years ago. Give it a go and let us know how it went (with photos)!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My tips would be to be there at daylight ready to troll and pull 1/32nds curly tail grubs at .7-.8 mph (should have 'em around 5' deep). Have some BB sized weights to add if needed to get a bit deeper. If you prefer to pull a bit heavier jig (1/16ths) then run atleast 1.1 to 1.3 mph to keep 'em @ 6 & 1/2 to 7' deep. Good luck.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Likes Ttexastom, Robdogg LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go for it! You will be surprised at the fish you will catch. I have a lake that had never been longlined and man all trips there are fun! Bass will kill the jigs along with crappie, perch and all other species in the pond.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give it a go sat morning early. not planning on keeping anything but I will take some pics
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad your going to try it. My uncle use to do it in a small Jon boat just drifting with the wind and a paddle. He used hair jigs and a few plastics. Sometimes he would put the smack down on them. We have a large lake called Lake Elephant 30 acres in Chester SC. that used to be good for it. They have drained and restructured the lake since beavers took it over a few years ago. Good luck! it!

Post Thanks / Like

Star Fort is a 27 acre public fishing lake near Ninety Six l've seen boats long lining back in the spring on it and catching crappie. Try it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

That's where I learned to troll for crappie. When I lived in Georgia my buddy would take me in a 10' wooden boat and a small trolling motor to small private or pay ponds. The limit then(70s) was 50 and we caught 100 numerous times. Crappie can over populate a small lake and the ones we caught averaged 8-10". We were told by DNR agents to take all we caught to keep the pond balanced. We trolled 1/32 Hal Flys and did really well most days. Usually we were the only ones fishing for crappie.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got to hit the pond up yesterday afternoon. Only fished for about an hour, but had some success. 6 crappie, 2 bass, and 2 big shell cracker. Tossed them all back for another day.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not bad at all for August and an hour of fishing.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast