HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol fuel

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Only real thing you want to really consider if you leave E 10 sit in your gas tank is ethanol does absorb water. To handle that, install a water separator filter system on your gas line and change the filter out at least once a year. We are stuck with E 10 but around me, more gas stations are installing pure unleaded pumps. I now have 4 gas stations within max of 20 miles from me and most Marinas have it. At the gas stations it varies from 40 to 68"cents more a gal. than E 10 And the Marinas gas is way the heck a lot higher.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes crappiemax, helpme LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What do you think moonshiners burned? Corn liquor, moonshine, alcohol, etc. Ethanol is moonshine with an additive so you won't drink it.
    What do you CLEAN carburetors with? Alcohol
    What does gas do that ethanol doesn't? Leave residue in the form of varnish.
    What does varnish do to a carb, plugs it and makes it stop working. Hence the reason you add Sta-bil and other treatments.
    Running 10% ethanol keeps your carburetor clean, in fact it keeps your fuel system clean.

As for water in ethanol. Your really concerned about 10% of water vapor in 10% of your fuel? Perspective- Your sucking in more water vapor running the motor in the rain or on a humid day. Optimum air to fuel mix ratio is 14.7 to 1. That is 14 parts air to 1 part fuel.

Another fun fact- ethanol is used as a racing fuel. There are a whole bunch of other alcohols used as racing fuels, depends on the classification of racing your doing. The ethanol added to your gasoline increases the octane rating of your fuel. Think of it this way, they have to water down the ethanol with gasoline so your don't fry your non-racing engine.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes helpme, wicklundrh LIKED above post

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ethanol and alcohol are 2 diff. Things

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes helpme LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helpme View Post
    Is there a way to burn butane in an outboard if you could inject your oil at the rate needed,I guess if it was a four-stroke like some of the newer ones are you could.If it was like a truck my uncle had it ran on lp and it ran very clean and for many years.It did lose some power,but the engine was very clean running,no carbon build-up..
    There is a small like 2-3 hp model out there along with weed eaters and mowers. Not really practical for bigger outboards because of size and weight of storage tank you would have to have plus the danger involved.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I'll always remember - MEPB. Methane, ethane, propane, butane, etc. I run propane at the house, would prefer butane but would have to bury the tank in the ground due to it's freezing point. They do sell it here though. Premium heat value in that product. Folks in subdivisions rely on methane (natural gas).

As far as alcohols, ethanol is ethyl alcohol. Methanol is methyl alcohol, etc. Ethanol will give you a buzz, while methanol will kill you. I know such things.

Hanr3, we've had this discussion about ethanol fuels in the past. I don't run top fuel dragsters, nor NASCAR, I just know what I find best for us regular folk.
    Randy Andres
    Likes sliderman, helpme LIKED above post
    Thanks Redge, "G" thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    What do you think moonshiners burned? Corn liquor, moonshine, alcohol, etc. Ethanol is moonshine with an additive so you won't drink it.
    What do you CLEAN carburetors with? Alcohol
    What does gas do that ethanol doesn't? Leave residue in the form of varnish.
    What does varnish do to a carb, plugs it and makes it stop working. Hence the reason you add Sta-bil and other treatments.
    Running 10% ethanol keeps your carburetor clean, in fact it keeps your fuel system clean.

As for water in ethanol. Your really concerned about 10% of water vapor in 10% of your fuel? Perspective- Your sucking in more water vapor running the motor in the rain or on a humid day. Optimum air to fuel mix ratio is 14.7 to 1. That is 14 parts air to 1 part fuel.

Another fun fact- ethanol is used as a racing fuel. There are a whole bunch of other alcohols used as racing fuels, depends on the classification of racing your doing. The ethanol added to your gasoline increases the octane rating of your fuel. Think of it this way, they have to water down the ethanol with gasoline so your don't fry your non-racing engine.
    I seem to recall reading this same statement some time ago. Perhaps on a different site. It's still misleading, with few facts and a lot of inaccuracies.
    I'd rather be fishing.
    Likes helpme, "G" LIKED above post
    Thanks Cray thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sliderman View Post
    I seem to recall reading this same statement some time ago. Perhaps on a different site. It's still misleading, with few facts and a lot of inaccuracies.
    been running ethanol for years with no problem. perhaps a paddle would solve most of your problems without a long, dragged out discussion about ethanol
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

How about facts.
    Renewable Fuels Association ยป Boats, Motorcyles & Small Engines

and if you click the link there is a link to water myth and facts. Fact is your gas will go stale before water becomes an issue.

2. In a small engine fuel tank in a constantly high-temperature, high-humidity environment, it takes three months or longer for E10 and other ethanol blends to take up enough water for phase separation. This confirms the statement by Mercury Marine that water uptake in E10 blends “…does not happen at a level or rate that is relevant.”2
    Last edited by Hanr3; 08-14-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sliderman View Post
    Just because it differs from your thought of reality, doesn't make it misleading or inaccurate. I did my research, did you?
    HOI Crappie Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Ethanol and alcohol are 2 diff. Things
    They are both made from corn.

Difference Between Ethanol and Alcohol | Difference Between
    Ethanol and alcohol are the same, and they have the same physical and chemical properties. Ethanol is a type of alcohol, and the two are formed by the fermentation of glucose by enzymes in yeast.

Read more: Difference Between Ethanol and Alcohol | Difference Between Difference Between Ethanol and Alcohol | Difference Between
    HOI Crappie Club

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast