Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
Riviera DPB big boards and yellow OR 10 releases. You can also jump up to OR 14 black or OR 19 orange for more tension.

Some issues with big boards is constant shuffling of lines. IE, you have 5 lines out one side. Number 2 goes off and catches a fish. You now have to shuffle lines 3, 4, and 5 out to get 2 back in the water. It takes time.

Another issue with shuffling. Not a huge issue if they all have a similar setback but a huge issue when you are running different baits at different depths and set backs.

Lastly, many guys use rubber bands on the main line to attach to the boards, fish hits and breaks the band. Not sure if a crappie would.

The advantage to in line boards is you can trip one, pull it out of formation and put it back in the same spot without shuffling other boards. This is huge when one particular bait is catching fish at a desired setback and depth.

As a rule of thumb, our outside boards run the furthest setback. We might run, 90, 80, and 70 setback on one side and an 85, 75, 65 on the other. This allows our outer baits to clear our inner baits without tangle. Hard to pull off with big boards.

Big boards do excell in rough water, similar setbacks, pulling heavy lines, and diving style options like jets, dipsy divers, slide divers, and so on.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
Awesome info, thanks.
I too run my lines back the way you do, longest further out. Been using weights, kinda pushing and pulling at the same time and am not running near the line out to reach the depth. I don't really want to fool with a bunch of small boards and running the line on out you can spread out pretty good and not reeling to quick helps with not tangling allowing the fish to come to the top, crappie anyway, cats and whites can be a pain no matter your set up.