HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PST broken

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1187mg View Post
    Are the tips bad to break?
    Actually, no ... they aren't (if you're referring to the PST's). I've lifted 2lb fish straight outta the water and swung them to me with mine, even holding the rod straight up in the air (with fish still on the line) while photos were taken.

There was a previous incident (several yrs ago) where a bad batch of blanks on some models of BnM rods did occur ... but, from my recollection, those rods/tips were replaced by BnM at no charge. I don't, however, believe those bad rods were PST's.

As "G" has suggested ... if you call BnM, ask to speak to Jack Wells (and only him) and tell him you're a Crappie.com member and explain the situation. If you speak to a "representative", you're likely to be told that replacement parts are available (but, don't get mad at them ... they're just doing their job).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Actually, no ... they aren't (if you're referring to the PST's). I've lifted 2lb fish straight outta the water and swung them to me with mine, even holding the rod straight up in the air (with fish still on the line) while photos were taken.

There was a previous incident (several yrs ago) where a bad batch of blanks on some models of BnM rods did occur ... but, from my recollection, those rods/tips were replaced by BnM at no charge. I don't, however, believe those bad rods were PST's.

As "G" has suggested ... if you call BnM, ask to speak to Jack Wells (and only him) and tell him you're a Crappie.com member and explain the situation. If you speak to a "representative", you're likely to be told that replacement parts are available (but, don't get mad at them ... they're just doing their job).
    Be told to use a dang net on a 10 inch fish, NOT!!!!
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I've only broke one pst,got caught in the trunk of my wife's car.Ive hosted 5-7lbs cats in the boat and have never broke a tip

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Your luck is better than mine blueball, I borrowed a couple 10s till my other 10s get here and have been scared to death I would break em, not near the backbone of a Tite-line special. Soon as my 10s get here I will have 2 sets of the Tite-lines, 18, 14, 10 and 6 and then 16, 12, 8 and 6, prefer the set with the 18s in it.
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not go talking all negative about the the very first sponsor of this site which helped make this all possible. BnM makes some of the best rods on the planet. And yes, there are a ton of opinions about everything. But please do try not to go negative on a great company and sponsor. I love my BnM rods, I long line with 14ft PST'as all the time. I hook big gar down here very often and I've never broke one. Having said that, I do have other BnM rods that have broke, but usually I've been able to identify the issue as a "user over abuse" event my part, and usually it's stuff that happens when not fishing (stepped on, or bad chips from nasty hits on metal while transporting). Everything breaks eventually under the right circumstances. I never broke a BGJP and I've never broke a PST, but I'm sure it can happen.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Let's not go talking all negative about the the very first sponsor of this site which helped make this all possible. BnM makes some of the best rods on the planet. And yes, there are a ton of opinions about everything. But please do try not to go negative on a great company and sponsor. I love my BnM rods, I long line with 14ft PST'as all the time. I hook big gar down here very often and I've never broke one. Having said that, I do have other BnM rods that have broke, but usually I've been able to identify the issue as a "user over abuse" event my part, and usually it's stuff that happens when not fishing (stepped on, or bad chips from nasty hits on metal while transporting). Everything breaks eventually under the right circumstances. I never broke a BGJP and I've never broke a PST, but I'm sure it can happen.

Oops,sorry. Was typing at same time as you. Just frustrated.
    Crappie Time

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... I'd venture to say that over 90% of the time there's been some damage to the rod before it breaks lifting a fish, setting the hook on a fish, or removing it from a rod sock It could have been damaged in shipment, transport, storing, or even normal use ... and not be noticeable until failure occurs.

I'll leave the other ~10% of the time to manufacturer quality controls not being so good.
    Likes crappie cowboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Yeah ... I'd venture to say that over 90% of the time there's been some damage to the rod before it breaks lifting a fish, setting the hook on a fish, or removing it from a rod sock It could have been damaged in shipment, transport, storing, or even normal use ... and not be noticeable until failure occurs.

I'll leave the other ~10% of the time to manufacturer quality controls not being so good.
    I agree but sometimes there is not.
    I am using another brand and love them, had trouble with them and called, they stood behind them and was set to send me tips as soon as they came in. I figured out where I was damaging them, called the company and canceled the replacements and then ordered and paid for tips. I have no problem paying for what I damage, none whatsoever and BnM is huge in the crappie industry, just not for me.
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to say that I've been using PST rods in 8, 12, 14, and 16 foot lengths for about the last decade and the only rods that have broken have been my own fault. I run them 12 months out of the year trolling crankbaits up to 2.5 mph as well as longlining jigs and they are the rod that I personally have the most confidence in because they've been consistent performers for what I need them to do. I've only broken the middle or tip pieces, never a butt section so I would be inclined to believe there was a blank defect from the factory in your case. I would do as the others have suggested and speak with Jack Wells directly and you will likely get the section replaced under warranty. I've dealt with BnM directly as well as Grizzly Jig for purchase/replacements and I have been taken care of by both companies with excellent customer service. I have no affiliation with either company whatsoever, I'm just an average Joe fisherman that pushes my gear a little harder than most and is a very satisfied customer with the PST line of rods.
    Likes "G", crp4570, crappie cowboy, appletap2 LIKED above post
    Thanks Snagged again thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I figure there is a lot of good rods on the market or the thousands of folks here would be posting issues post by post. I wrapped a 12 and 14 PST over the holiday, completely under my boat bouncing spinners off the bottom for Walleye. One time it was really bad with a 12' and I couldn't believe it didn't break in a 4 mph current. I would agree though, as some rods come with a fissure or unseen crack and they're doomed from the start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast