HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2D versus DI .....

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    So none of yawl like to hear all that beeping ........I think the show is called tuna wars .....They use it .....
    I kinda thought some folks wouldn't like this post ....but after looking at graphs of every possible design for 45 years ...yes EVEN the ole paper units ....AND ....up to 3500 dollar big screen units they just made this year .....I am still sticking to that's a fish and it's on something ......
    The main point of the post is you can use 2D and do very well with it , mine don't tell stories ....if it goes to beeping and a bunch a lil blue fish show up .....I typically go to Ketchn ....when it gets quiet and the blue fish leave so does the bite ....
    Simplicity at its best .....
    Never used the "beep" function, even when all I had was b/w 2d units. Never trusted the "fish ID" symbols to really show me that fish were present, after seeing them on the screen, even when I was sitting in 5fow and could see bottom. I think I may have seen "fish ID" icon(s) in about 3-4 instances where I actually caught a fish at that spot/depth. And I can't say that I EVER saw fish arches ... generally just using the units to show me depth & possible cover.

Once I got my DI unit and learned how to tweak it sufficiently for my purposes, and was able to easily identify exactly what was below me, the whole idea/need for 2d sonar went out the window. And I was not impressed, nor pleased, when my DI only unit was discontinued ... and 2d sonar was added back to it (under a new model name).

But, hey ... if it works for you, then good for you !! DI took the guesswork out of interpretation for me :

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  Screen002.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  Screen003.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  91.8 KB
    Likes sfw1960, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Had a guy once who thought the numbers by the little blue fish was how long the fish were lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha, the lowrance manual tells you right up front that just because you see fish symbols and hear beeps does not tell you for certain that there are fish below, just something in the water besides water
    Retired golf addict
    Likes chaunc, blueball, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibmack View Post
    hahaha, the lowrance manual tells you right up front that just because you see fish symbols and hear beeps does not tell you for certain that there are fish below, just something in the water besides water
    No such thing as a fishfinder.....Sales gimmick......Carpetbaggers sale em...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes crp4570, blueball, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cane pole don't you know fishfinders were invented by weather men. They both show things that don't exist.
    Likes blueball, wannabe fisherman, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat depends on your style of fishing I suppose but you are really missing out on valuable information vertical jigging if you aren't running them(2d and DI) side by side. I don't use the fish symbols though. If I could only have gps/mapping and one sonar though it would be 2d 200khz hands down though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I vote side imaging. If you ever start using it... O well you will see what you have been missing. Why look at what is under the boat when you can see that plus an area the size of a football field. Try it, you'll like it.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    I vote side imaging. If you ever start using it... O well you will see what you have been missing. Why look at what is under the boat when you can see that plus an area the size of a football field. Try it, you'll like it.
    I have it and have used it for years, wouldn't want to be without it but if I had to drop a sonar technology fishing Kentucky/Barkley I would still drop it or DI as long as I could keep gps/mapping and
    200khz 2d.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

After all the discussion in this thread, i tried giving DI some more attention today after mainly using 2D so far this year. I used the 85% contrast mentioned here, on my garmin striker 7sv, and think that might have been the ticket to make things more clear. I could see fish on/in tree tops. The fish did not look pretty....just bright white vaguely football shaped returns mostly, but where i saw them i caught crappie and bluegill...none on trees where i didnt see them. And i could pick them out within branches on the more complex tree tops.

I like 2D and have had good fishing with it looking at arches as fish, but i think i will be running DI a lot more in the future. Thanks for the tip/discussion

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
    Likes chaunc, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wicked Tuna ....my bad .......and yes I run a split screen 2d / di at the same time ......sometimes I see the popcorn dots on di , but most of the time I watch my 2d and listen for my crickets when I am busy ......my lil crickets typically tell the truth .......but to say I have a clue would be wrong , I just like it kind of simple and easy .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Thanks rebranger thanked you for this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123