HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TROLLING MOTOR SIZE/ MODEL

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 24/ 80 lb thrust on a 1754 and I have pulled crank baits for 8 solid hrs and never used more than half the batteries. 24 volt is the way to go in my opinion.
    Likes "G", strmwalker, Snubby LIKED above post
    Thanks KnightShadow10 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same delima and recently solved it with the ultrex. I've had a lot of TM since my Sears Roebuck Ted Williams signature model. The last one was a 12 volt 55 lb terrova ipilot on my 17 1/2 ft tracker. It was fine trolling etc. in open water with remote, but was almost impossible for me to menuver and hold tight in cover with foot pedal.
    I recently replaced it with ultrex ipilot link 24 volt 80 lb. The remote is great for hands free open water trolling etc. The foot pedal is awesome for menuvering in tight cover. 80 lb is a little over kill for my boat, but I'be enjoyed the additional power. It's the smallest they offer in ultrex. The ultrex will easily do both, plus some.
    Likes Snagged again LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

80 lbs is not overkill when your in big open water pulling crankbaits and going into the wind trying to maintain 1.8 mph
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Snagged again LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is no comparison or argument....Doing any pulling or pushing you need a minimum of 24v whatever boat you have.
    36v is even better yet on heavy boats and there is no such thing as having too much trolling motor.
    Likes "G", Snubby LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I can go down to .4 up to 3.8 with my 112 Terrova...and can run two full days on one charge...I have a 1756 Triton aluminum boat...No brainer to get the 80.
    Likes "G", Snubby LIKED above post
    Thanks Snagged again thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

80 in 24v or over 100 in 36 volt.
    I have a 82 LB./24 volt on a relatively heavy Skeeter 19" aluminum and would not want anything rated lower....
    Heavier glass boats could benefit with 36V at over 100 lbs. thrust...

Eagle the 80 lb /24 v Ultrex would be hard to beat and enjoyable to use.If I were you I would take Snubbys up on his test run offer......
    The very best mounting position on the boat is always dead center (TM shaft centered in front of keel)....
    Last edited by Snagged again; 06-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    Thanks Cray, "G" thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cubeice View Post
    I have a power drive v2 12 volt 50 pounds thrust 48 " shaft that does fine on my 16 bass tracker . But you don't have a foot control with i pilot . Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the same on my 18' Tracker. Works just fine for me, I'll pull crank baits or long line for a few hours (not six or eight), then I venture off and pitch crickets at the bream.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is WOW!! Got to try my new Ultrex today on my 1652, and it's awesome and is the power I've been looking for in a TM. I trolled cranks at 1.5 - 2.1 mph today for 6 1/2 hours and about half that time going into 5mph wind. Checked the batteries when I got home and still had 45% which means I could have trolled at least 3 more hours or so. I agree, for most folks they aren't going to stay out in the heat and troll crank-baits all day. I was also worried I went to big on thrust and too long on shaft length, nope & nope!! I would say you could get away with a 55# tm (two 29's in parallel) and be fine if you wanted to troll for 4-6 hours and call it a day. The one thing that made up my mind on the Ultrex was the foot control for single poling, still has the cable style feel I'm used to, with electric steering assist. The variable 20 speeds are awesome, I couldn't answer a lot of your questions yesterday when we spoke Mr. Curtis, but to me this unit was worth every nickle I spent on it. Only downside I saw, it frees you up to do a lot more snacking Is it a requirement for everyone to have an Ultrex 80# or 112#? Absolutely not. Does it fit me and my style of fishing, you bet!

Post Thanks / Like

24v Ultrex is what you need. No such thing as too much power.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes "G", Snagged again LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess I am cheap ! A fellow needs to be fully committed to pulling /pushing cranks to shell out that kind of money. Will bum a trip now and again .
    Thanks blueball thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast