HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conway in Summertime

Post Thanks / Like

also, i went yesterday in the wind and heat and fished with some 1/32 I picked up at Dano's . Caught 12 in the Green's Lake area, but only 1, 12" keeper (released). All the rest were between 6-8".
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

The standard 2" Mid South tube, or the Southern Pro 1.5 inch Lil Hustler tubes are my #1 & #2 Choice on Conway.
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP
    Thanks ibmack, captcall thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the info on the downsizing and slow fall rate. So the main issue is a smaller jig head so the fall is slower, but the tube size is not as critical. I usually use a 2" tube in fall, winter, and spring - so if that fits, it makes it a lot easier to keep a supply without having to buy all different sizes. Paul
    Retired golf addict
    Likes captcall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Russ and thanks from a newbie to Lake Conway for it. Will put it to good use. Glad you posted this question ibmack
    Likes ibmack, CrappiePro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Lil Hustler is a lighter sleeker tube. I like this tube when the fish are really aggressive and chasing and want the bait a little bit faster moving through the water. the other thing about them in the summer is when the shad fry hatch is booming. When you see thousands of lil bitty shad fry 1/2 inch to 1" swimming near the surface think Lil Hustler and match the hatch. This has worked for me several times over the years. Keep moving and exploring IB you will find them with these baits. Summertime fishing on Conway is a Single pole only adventure with time you will learn what trees produce. I have fished this lake over the years and know what trees I have the best chance on, so I pull into an area fish the trees i have had success on several times in the past, If I get bit i fish the area thoroughly, If not I move on to the next area.. until I find keeper fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePro View Post
    The Lil Hustler is a lighter sleeker tube. I like this tube when the fish are really aggressive and chasing and want the bait a little bit faster moving through the water. the other thing about them in the summer is when the shad fry hatch is booming. When you see thousands of lil bitty shad fry 1/2 inch to 1" swimming near the surface think Lil Hustler and match the hatch. This has worked for me several times over the years. Keep moving and exploring IB you will find them with these baits. Summertime fishing on Conway is a Single pole only adventure with time you will learn what trees produce. I have fished this lake over the years and know what trees I have the best chance on, so I pull into an area fish the trees i have had success on several times in the past, If I get bit i fish the area thoroughly, If not I move on to the next area.. until I find keeper fish.
    thanks CP, i have 4 such locations like you are talking about and need to keep exploring and find others. i usually fish these areas for 1/2 hr to 45 minutes. if bitten, may spend another hour in the area. does this seem like too much time, or not enough?
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how big of stand of trees you are fishing, If you are catching a few fish in an area, fish the best looking trees or clusters producing the best shade on the water in that area. I always go for these first when targeting an area. If I fish 10 good looking spots or the biggest best looking trees in an area without a few good fish, I move on. If I catch a few in the better looking spots I will then try surrounding single live trees or laydowns in the area. I have seen them in the thickest trees on Conway with acres and acres of live cypress, even then more than likely your fish will come from the tightest looking packs of trees in a jungle of trees. No matter what area you are trying, look at the trees your about to fish and ask yourself this question? If I were a crappie what trees in this location would I be living? Then go right to those spots and try and catch them. I would say 30 mins- hour is plenty of time on average. Keep in mind tho on a bad bite you may only catch only a few keepers out of each area, so try and hit as many of the better looking spots in a area, as you can. I have had more than one day out there where you fish an area and catch only 3-5 keepers and then the same at several other areas. Well guess what you have in your cooler if you repeat this process 4-10 times during a day of fishing. A pretty good day on the water. Conway has a way of lulling you into the WOW!!! This Lake Sucks Factor in the summer, fishing tree after tree with no results for hours on end then KABOOM!!! all them bad feelings go away when you find a few spots loaded with 5-20, 1-2 lb plus fish thumping your jig as fast as you can drop a jig back down to them. Don't buy into the Conway Summer time Suck Factor, I have hundreds of pictures that prove otherwise. It can happen
    Last edited by CrappiePro; 06-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Thanks captcall thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how big of stand of trees you are fishing, If you are catching a few fish in an area, fish the best looking trees or clusters producing the best shade on the water in that area. I always go for these first when targeting an area. If I fish 10 good looking spots or the biggest best looking trees in an area without a few good fish, I move on. If I catch a few in the better looking spots I will then try surrounding single live trees or laydowns in the area. I have seen them in the thickest trees on Conway with acres and acres of live cypress, even then more than likely your fish will come from the tightest looking packs of trees in a jungle of trees. No matter what area you are trying, look at the trees your about to fish and ask yourself this question? If I were a crappie what trees in this location would I be living? Then go right to those spots and try and catch them. I would say 30 mins- hour is plenty of time on average. Keep in mind tho on a bad bite you may only catch only a few keepers out of each area, so try and hit as many of the better looking spots in a area, as you can. I have had more than one day out there where you fish an area and catch only 3-5 keepers and then the same at several other areas. Well guess what you have in your cooler if you repeat this process 4-10 times during a day of fishing. A pretty good day on the water. Conway has a way of lulling you into the WOW!!! This Lake Sucks Factor in the summer, fishing tree after tree with no results for hours on end then KABOOM!!! all them bad feelings go away when you find a few spots loaded with 5-20, 1-2 lb plus fish thumping your jig as fast as you can drop a jig back down to them. Don't buy into the Conway Summer time Suck Factor, I have hundreds of pictures that prove otherwise. It can happen
    Thanks for your continued mentoring on Lake Conway. It is something that i personally never get tired of reading. If someone pays attenrion to your posts over the years and puts in the work, they can catch fish on Conway year round. It's like your signature says. "If your big crappie bound, it's a long hard ride."
    Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]
    Likes Redge, CrappiePro, captcall, tonyjohn LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt, One of the Ole Timers told me years ago when I was about 22 years Old he said "Son you put in the time and work on this lake in the Summer, you will learn to Hate it first, Then Love it". I really don't mind sharing my views on Summer Conway because I Know their ain't a truer statement than what that Old man told me so many years ago. I just want to give the folks who want to put in the time and effort on Conway in the summer a fighting chance to tame the summer trees of Lake Conway with a jig pole...If they succeed they will have earned the right to know this knowledge no doubt. On the other hand Conway can be a Very tough puzzle to solve in the summer and I don't blame anyone who wants to fish elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt, One of the Ole Timers told me years ago when I was about 22 years Old he said "Son you put in the time and work on this lake in the Summer, you will learn to Hate it first, Then Love it". I really don't mind sharing my views on Summer Conway because I Know their ain't a truer statement than what that Old man told me so many years ago. I just want to give the folks who want to put in the time and effort on Conway in the summer a fighting chance to tame the summer trees of Lake Conway with a jig pole...If they succeed they will have earned the right to know this knowledge no doubt. On the other hand Conway can be a Very tough puzzle to solve in the summer and I don't blame anyone who wants to fish elsewhere.
    Thanks Russ. I don't mind putting in the time on the water, and, since I am retired, can do so. I never think about asking someone for their actual spots, cause I don't give mine out either. I will give general locations, etc. All I want to know is if I am on the right track. I don't mind hitting the water before daybreak, fishing till dark, and not catching a fish as long as I am learning. I appreciate people like you, Matt, Chris when he was still active, etc. Paul
    Retired golf addict

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast