HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to keep the fish

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer will cause lots of drag and ruin your tracking. I use an igloo mariner

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on a stringer causing drag,if you paddle,your gonna need to eat some spinach to keep your strength up.i started with a basket hanging over the side,even when empty,it caused much drag.I now use a cooler positioned directly in front of my dashboard,the wieght is balanced,and it's a simple task to flip the fish into the cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mquast200 View Post
    Hi all , I've been fishing out of my kayak lately, and for brim it's wonderful but I'm thinking about starting some limb lines/jugs. My question is would having some decent sized cats on a stringer off the side cause quite a bit of drag/ weight? I was thinking about having my ice chest out with a inner tube wrapped around and throwing the cats in that. Any advice?
    Are you talking about running trot lines and putting the catfish in a cooler attached to the yak while you're doing that? If so, I would think having an ice chest in an inner tube, with the weight of the fish in the ice chest, would cause more drag than just having the fish on a stringer. I'm not sure how large the catfish you're talking about are.

Huey Door Gunner
    Vietnam 1966-1967

Post Thanks / Like

im thinking mainly eater sIze and the occasional 10-15 pounder...I guess the only problem I have is figuring out a way to attach my cooler to the kayak. May need to think of upgrading. Started out with the pelican bounty 100 and I'd put the cooler on the back but doesn't look like I could fit a decent cooler on it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you upgrade you can use the pelican. As a fish hauler. Plenty of room for a cooler.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes canebreaker, STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Your correct about the Pelican 100 not having a lot of room for a cooler... however, I think that I have a solution for what I think you want to do and would work for your particular kayak. Its one of those fish cooler bags. Many of the salty ocean fella's use 'em for beyond the breakers and such. This particular one is only 25 inches long even though you can get them in almost any length you want. Since you have a "sit in" kayak, you could either place it inside towards the front where the access panel would be between your legs or the more traditional way of strapping it to the top front. It has multiple tie down options. This one came from Academy, but everybody sells 'em that is in the kayak business. I hope it helps or at least gives you some ideas.
    Name:  Magellan Outdoors Kayak Fish Bag.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  26.5 KB
    Paddle Straight and Prosper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to keep the fish

The fish bags are nice but a cat fish barb will eventually tear it. I had one and it was a real pain to keep clean. I replaced it with a dirty old croaker sack that I used as a mullet bag when wading with a cast net. I just put the catfish in it, laid it behind the seat and they flounced but never flopped the bag outta the yak. Catfish will live a couple hours outta water so plan appropriately

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider an upgrade if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

that bag looks like a great idea as long as it wouldn't puncture from the cats. When you say croaker bag do you mean basically a burlap sack? I have no problem throwing them over my head onto the storage behind me, just worried they'd figure a way to get off, but a sack would ensure they don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Burlap sack. I had a squeeze clamp tied to a string that I clamped the opening shut. It was a simple redneck fix that worked. One tip. Not sure where you are but never do a stringer or even the sack over the side after dark. Shy gators aren't shy after dark. Had one rip my stringer and anchor trolley off my tied up kayak while I was sitting on my dock. It was total chaos for about 5 seconds - kayak stood straight up and I doubt he woulda cared if I had been sitting in it
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast