HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on new aluminum boats

Post Thanks / Like

Had em both. My Lund is almost 10 years old and has never leaked a drop. Go with a good boat - cheap boats rivets come loose and welds break.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Deep-V aluminum boat guy myself. I prefer rivets to welds.
    As for boat manufactures, I prefer top of the line stuff for longevity. If you consider a boat disposable or your going to trade it in in a couple years, go with a cheaper model. Realize well built boats hold resale value, cheap boats don't.

Boat choice is really personal preference. YOU need to define your requirements! Flat bottom, semi-v, deep-v, bass, etc. They all have their place and type of water they excel on. Where will YOU be fishing mostly? North, South, East, West, Rivers, In-Land lakes, Great Lakes, Canadian Shield, etc. What species will you fish for most of the time? What power requirements, main motor, kicker motor, bow mounted trolling motor, transom mounted trolling motor, tiller, etc.
    What method of fishing will you predominantly utilize? Trolling, slip bobber, spider rigging, back trolling, jigging, combination, etc.

What boat you should get depends on how YOU answer those questions. You won't be happy in a 14' jon boat on the ocean. Nor will you be happy with a 21' deep-v fishing machine in a farm pond.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Thanks Beavz thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rivets can come loose, welds can break. Some like the look of one over the other. As stated above, go with a quality boat and you'll be fine.
    I think it really boils down to what YOU want/like.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum boats have come a long way,but there is always room for improvement.I have had a collection of jons ,1 basstracker, now have a 18 ft Landau jon ,and a 19 ft Skeeter aluminum.Each has had it's merits and shortcomings.
    For aluminum the Skeeter a is fairly heavy ,step hulled,and fairly overpowered with a 150 VMax.Not real great in rough water but shines under favorable conditions.When slow trolling I seriously envy the heavier fiberglass boats that set near motionless in place trolling.What kind of fishing do you do?
    You have already been given solid recommendations , most of which I agree with.As a current and past aluminum boat owner I would encourage you to take your time shopping,and examining the field.Also I would suggest examining glass boats.Don't limit yourself,be open-minded.Get a boat you will be happy with.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked at the Excel boats ? i have a stalker side console in 18' by 60'' bottom . Heavy built all welded hull . I have the spray in liner , easier to clean than carpet . Stable ride too .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Beavz LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had a boat I didn't like. Never saw a boat I didn't like. I just like some less than others. I had a War Eagle I really liked.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having had some really cheap riveted boats over the years, I have to agree that quality is foremost when buying one of these. I bought a 16' Lund that was 25 years old when I bought it and it never leaked a drop and lived outside uncovered. Best aluminum boat I ever owned as far as construction is concerned. I had a 16' Sea Nymph stick steer and loosened 12 rivets one night hitting rough waves, but loved the style of that boat. If the two had been combined in the same rig, I would still own it. Overall I see less issues with the welded boats than riveted. I'm in a glas boat now for several reasons and still look for a basic 16' jon with a 25hp that has my name on it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Thanks barrelslime thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slabprowler View Post
    Xpress ! The original allweld aluminum boat.
    I would like more information on the express HP18 pfc.

Thanks

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chulai1968 View Post
    I would like more information on the express HP18 pfc.

Thanks

Check with Bill at Bigriver Marine

Post Thanks / Like

Ok,
    thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast