HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Longlining Questions?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can try a swivel but it sounds more to me that you lined your reels from the bottom of the spool vrs the top of the spool which would give it ALOT of line twist. JMO...
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie cowboy View Post
    How much separation between poles is needed? I don't have a lot of different size poles, I mostly have 12ft, a couple 14 ft. Can I just adjust the 12 ft. at different angles to get separation? Also is there a difference between pulling jigs, and cranks in the set up?
    The rods straight off the back of the boat should be positioned with the tips about two feet apart. Continue doing this as far as you can with the rods you have. This will tell you how many rods you can run with what you have. My longest rod is 14' and I troll pulling 14 rods (7 on each side of the motor).

Pulling jigs and pulling cranks are two different things. With jigs you should be pulling from .7 mph to a max of around 1.3 mph. Most trollers use anywhere from 4# test to 8# test, with 6# test being the norm. When pulling cranks I believe the target speed is @ 2.0 mph. Also, with cranks, you'll need a lot heavier gear so you can use spiderwire so hopefully you wont loose many of your lures ($$$). Alot of people that are pulling cranks will use line counter baitcasting reels with stiffer rods when doing this. Hope this helps...
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    The rods straight off the back of the boat should be positioned with the tips about two feet apart. Continue doing this as far as you can with the rods you have. This will tell you how many rods you can run with what you have. My longest rod is 14' and I troll pulling 14 rods (7 on each side of the motor).

Pulling jigs and pulling cranks are two different things. With jigs you should be pulling from .7 mph to a max of around 1.3 mph. Most trollers use anywhere from 4# test to 8# test, with 6# test being the norm. When pulling cranks I believe the target speed is @ 2.0 mph. Also, with cranks, you'll need a lot heavier gear so you can use spiderwire so hopefully you wont loose many of your lures ($$$). Alot of people that are pulling cranks will use line counter baitcasting reels with stiffer rods when doing this. Hope this helps...
    Thanks GBM...what keeps the fish from getting tangled up being so close when you get one on, don't they get buck wild when they get hooked?

Post Thanks / Like

Secret to longlining is you never stop or slow the boat while the lines are out. If you do you'll have all of them fouled on the bottom, so you reel the fish in while underway and most times you can work the fish in a straight line and avoid tangles. A long handled net helps too.

Note: Stripers, Gar, Catfish, and some other ignorant species have not read this and refuse to abide by the rules.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The tangles come with the territory. Some times the large stripers and catfish will run out your spread and. You can work them in without any tangles and sometimes a small 3/4 lb perch will tangle 6 rods. Set up your pulling rods so you can cut lines and retie and get back fishing as quick as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your help. I'll be doing a test run in a few days to see if I can handle the lines. I'll be doing the test run on my home lake here in the Ozarks which has clear water. I be fishing at Enid Lake, Ms. in about a week, which very dingy. I will be surprised if I catch any here on the clear water lake, but I'll get a little experience before I go Ms. I got a feeling pulling jigs will be addictive ....lol At lease I got a ton of jigs to fish with....thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

CC, I wish ya luck bud! Longlining IS very addictive....atleast it is for me. LLing is about all I want to do anymore. I know there's other methods of fishing and they produce gret numbers but once you get used to constantly moving it's HARD slowing back down.

The closer the lines run to each other the probability of getting tangles increases. Simple fact is that tangles are just a part of longlining. It is going to happen. From my limited experience it seems the small crappie vrs the larger crappie do most of the tangling (white perch are bad to create tangles too). Cant explain why. And...as mentioned...hybrids, stripers, catfish, gar, etc., will totally wreck your setup. When I know one of them buggers are on I'll snatch the line as hard as I can to break off that fish and hopefully things wont be so bad.
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot I can see already I'll have to keep a sharp knife open and ready to a line or two...lol. I hate those white bass, I've had them tangle all my lines spider rigging before. I forgot to mention after all this that in Ms. they only allow 3 poles I believe unless they've changed. So I shouldn't have a problem getting tangled up...hopefully. Here in Ar. you can use as many as you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a buddy and run double jigs off both sides in the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started out I pulled 6 . Two off each side at the front and two straight out the back. You could go that route until you get accustomed to it. I think if you've never longlined or been with someone who longlines,it would be best to start out small. I could see a fisherman getting very aggravated trying to use a large number of poles if and when tangles,brushpiles and small fish wrap up bout 8 poles. Lots of times it is quicker to cut and retie rather than to try to untangle. You will need some good rodholders so when you get hung they will stay in the holder. Don't have the drag set too tight. My set up is usually three out each side up front,sometimes four a 12'10'8'and sometimes 12-10-8 and a 6'. four out the back,with sometimes six short, 5.5 to 6' rods out the back.. I use a tiny swivel to help with line twist . Like GaBowman said it is addictive, but can get frustrating with little fish tangling up stuff. The little fish seem to hit harder than the bigger ones, the twril when you reel them in helping the line twist.The wind will be one of your worst enimies. .8 to1.2 will catch the fish.. As a GENERAL rule of thumb, a 1/16 oz jig, 4 lb mono at .8 - 1.0 mph will run APPROXIMATELY 10' deep with a good cast,as far as you can cast it out. I don't use the double jig rig or use jigs tipped with minnows( Mabey I should try to learn to be able to get more fish). Let us SC and Nc folks know how your trip turns out. God bless and be safe.
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2229303132333435 ... LastLast