HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Little Info To Share On Electric Fillet Knives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a brand new in the package mister twister and one I used quite a bit of the same model.I also still have out in the garage the slow oscillating,expensive Rapala knife.Have used a couple models of American angler several years ago.Thought I was happy as a clam......A buddy proved to me I was losing about 10% of my crappie by using the electric instead of using a regular knife.We sorted through our catch one day and found two fish of identical weight.I used the electric and he used the regular knife.We put our fillets on postage scales and believe it or not my fillets were real close to 10% lighter.The difference is meat loss around the ribs.I was a bit faster with the electric but not as efficient.It's been 6 or seven years now and I have not used an electric since.To each their own....
    Likes IkenI, Redlabelace, TNReb58 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday afternoon*

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snagged again View Post
    I have a brand new in the package mister twister and one I used quite a bit of the same model.I also still have out in the garage the slow oscillating,expensive Rapala knife.Have used a couple models of American angler several years ago.Thought I was happy as a clam......A buddy proved to me I was losing about 10% of my crappie by using the electric instead of using a regular knife.We sorted through our catch one day and found two fish of identical weight.I used the electric and he used the regular knife.We put our fillets on postage scales and believe it or not my fillets were real close to 10% lighter.The difference is meat loss around the ribs.I was a bit faster with the electric but not as efficient.It's been 6 or seven years now and I have not used an electric since.To each their own....
    The older I get the better I like electricity.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Redge, Sup LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snagged again View Post
    I believe that is more because of how the person fillets the fish. I use an American Angler but I don't cut out the ribcage. The way I learned many moons ago was to run the blade along the ribcage. My fillets come off the fish with no bones and the thin strip along the rib cage attached. Several of my friends cut out the rib cage using both manual and electric knives.
    We had an assembly line going cleaning hundreds of Oscars we caught in Florida. They had one guy on each end cutting out the rib cage on the fillets.
    I told the guy down from me he wasn't going to have much to do because when my fillets come off the fish, the rib bones stay on the carcass.
    I do notice I seem to be the only one doing it that way. I learned that method when I fished for bass and the body was thicker than panfish, usually.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

A video would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    I believe that is more because of how the person fillets the fish. I use an American Angler but I don't cut out the ribcage. The way I learned many moons ago was to run the blade along the ribcage. My fillets come off the fish with no bones and the thin strip along the rib cage attached. Several of my friends cut out the rib cage using both manual and electric knives.
    We had an assembly line going cleaning hundreds of Oscars we caught in Florida. They had one guy on each end cutting out the rib cage on the fillets.
    I told the guy down from me he wasn't going to have much to do because when my fillets come off the fish, the rib bones stay on the carcass.
    I do notice I seem to be the only one doing it that way. I learned that method when I fished for bass and the body was thicker than panfish, usually.
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!
    Likes Dewdrop LIKED above post