HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Old River (fish/lunch)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=lsufan1188;3428023]Haven't been on here in a while and just saw this thread. I'm all for meeting up one Saturday. I think June 2nd is too soon based on the river forecast. June 9th is probably too soon also. River stage really needs to be no higher than 30 ft to make it worth fishing IMO. 26-28 ft would be ideal. 30 day forecast shows it hitting 28 ft on 6-17 but that could change 30 times before then.

Which gauge are you referring to? I don't see any reading 28ft on 6/17.

Post Thanks / Like

The most recent prediction of the Mississippi River by the Corps. The readings are in feet referenced to Datum 0.

Name:  Miss_Page_1.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  28.2 KB
    Likes Skippa Chippa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the BR gauge from the National Weather Service forecast. It is based on 48 hours future rainfall. That's why I said the 30 day forecast could change 30 times the next 30 days. Right now they're predicting the river to be down to 28 ft at the BR scale on 6/23. That would be the ideal stage IMO. 26-28 ft.

The scale you posted isn't much different. On 6/21 yours shows 31-32 ft and the one below shows 29. Hard for them to predict 30 days out.

30 day forecast
    Likes cajun, Skippa Chippa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0507.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  141.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

My dad told me that the store is forced to shut down at 32 ft stage. Something else to consider.
    Thanks jigman_09 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Updated 30 day forecast has the BR gauge at 31.9 ft on 6/26. It might be mid July if the northern states see a lot of rainfall the next few weeks.

Name:  IMG_0519.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  145.7 KB
    Thanks Redge thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering, but why use the Baton Rouge gauge, which is 70 miles downstream, and not the Red River Landing gauge, which is 5 miles upstream, to predict the level in Old River?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we are at the point of getting daily rains now, so this is all going to be speculation!

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Scearce the ole beachcomber would use it (the BR stage)to let us know when to go. It probably predates the 73 flood and the changes to the old river control structure.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    Just wondering, but why use the Baton Rouge gauge, which is 70 miles downstream, and not the Red River Landing gauge, which is 5 miles upstream, to predict the level in Old River?
    Ephesians 1:13
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    I'm not sure. I have been told by one of the store employees to wait a day or 2 after the river has started dropping to fish. He said Old River isn't affected immediately by a rise or fall of the MS River. Maybe people have always used the BR gauge since it is a day or so behind. Good question. I've never really thought about it. Just did what my dad and grandpa have been doing for years. This might be why I've struck out fishing just before a rise at the BR gauge. Might need to start looking at the Red River gauge too.
    Likes cajun LIKED above post

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast