HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !I like big bobbers,and I cannot lie!

Post Thanks / Like

Float size isn't as much of a big deal as keeping the float neutrally buoyant. Like Kechin said, Crappie can be finicky eaters and hate resistance when they aren't hungry. You can entice them to take anything into their mouth, getting them to hang onto long enough for you to set the hook is another story. The closer you can keep the bobber to neutrally buoyant the better. I prefer to add weight (split shot) about 12"-18" from the hook. This serves two purposes.
    1) Add enough weight so that a lively minnow can move that bobber up and down and all around.
    2) The minnow has some tether length that they can swim up or down or all around and really entice the crappie to bite hard. The weight holds them to a depth, plus or minus the distance between the weights and the hooks. If your fishing 8' down with a 12" tether between hook and split shot, the minnow could be anywhere from 7'-9' down. Around here, crappie love this depth.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes rebranger, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    Float size isn't as much of a big deal as keeping the float neutrally buoyant.

Agreed. Many of my wagglers are 10-12" long, but I shot them so that no more than 1/2" of the tip is above the surface. Any part of the float beneath the surface is neutrally buoyant. Therefore, it offers zero resistance to the fish.
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobbers are like beautiful women, I can sit and watch em all day long no matter who makes them.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes rebranger, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12