HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spinning reels

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to leave the line on the reel for a while...I tie a hook on the line..hook a tree or something, and walk off a good ways...I will stretch the line several times, then walk back to the hook keeping pressure on the line ..I love Vicious line, but would use 6# in this case

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not overfill your reel and frankly never cast with a line heavier than 6 lb. jmo. Actually 4 lb. is adaquate for most applications .

Post Thanks / Like

Pfhlueger makes a series of reels with a large spool. I have several of them. They are in the 60.00 cost range. A little on the heavy side but excellent reels.Spool them with 6lb quality line. Wind the line on with the spool face up on the floor. Should be good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

when you cast lift your rod tip about 2 feet The reason your line comes off like you described is that you start retrieving with slack line and one of the loops comes off
    Likes minnowtime LIKED above post

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Been using 4# Nan-o-fil on 1000 series reels since the line first came out. Have never had this problem with this line and I do not manually close the bail. On 2 occasions I did have a single loop get out. No problem to cast it out the next cast. Or you can loosen the drag and pull the line out past the loop. When I was using mono(Trilene 4#) I had a tendency to overfill the spool trying to get a little extra distance. Don't have that problem with nan o fil.

Post Thanks / Like

As you're motoring (or paddling in my case) to your next fishing spot, remove and hooks, lures, snaps, weights from you line and play bare line out behind the boat as you move. Let out more length of line than you normally cast. As you move through the water most of the twist will come out of the line. After several minutes, hold the rod in the bottom three fingers of your non reeling hand and lightly pinch the line between your thumb and index finger as you reel it back in. It won't remove every bit of twist, but it will definitely help tame it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Might be putting the line on Backwards. It should be put on in the same direction the spool turns.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Thanks Boa3 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Yak Fish;3422931]As you're motoring (or paddling in my case) to your next fishing spot, remove and hooks, lures, snaps, weights from you line and play bare line out behind the boat as you move. Let out more length of line than you normally cast. As you move through the water most of the twist will come out of the line. After several minutes, hold the rod in the bottom three fingers of your non reeling hand and lightly pinch the line between your thumb and index finger as you reel it back in. It won't remove every bit of twist, but it will definitely help tame it.

This works well for removing line twist. I usually have a swivel on the end however. Much of the line twist is as a result of
    turning the handle with a loose drag which causes line twist. When a fish takes drag stop turning because your just twisting line.
    Just play the line out while your running the boat, and leave it out for awhile before retrieving it while still moving.
    Putting the line spool in a bucket of water when loading a reel helps also as then the spool rotates as line comes off.
    Its also my opinion your better off with less line on the reel regardless of spool size.
    Seems to me cramming the spool full causes more problems.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll crankbaits most of the time when I fish. It takes letting out 80+ feet of line to get 'em down to the depths I need to catch fish. Even with a swivel I get line twist on a spinning reel. Playing a fish in from that distance will also add twist. I use baitcasters to help fight line twist, but if one of your lures gets line wrapped around the front hook, it will twist like a helicopter and make a mess of your line in a hurry. Paying attention helps reduce line twist more than anything else, I suppose. Good luck, be safe, & have fun to all!

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123