HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to dispel the myths

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Eagle. I had a browning Silaflex years ago, might have been my first UL. It was parabolic and difficult to cast anything over 1/32, the rod really doubled up hard and was unpredictable after that. However, I used it many years and lost track of it. A lot of the UL rods I find remind me of that rod, and a light suits me more often than not. How do you like the Okuma? That one and the 7'6" Shakespeare Micro have my eye.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Sparkie, I have a few medium action rods and find the casting tougher because of the stiffer tip. A softer tip loads more and casts the tiny jigs much better for me. I would like a 1 piece 7' or 7'6" light or ultra light rod with a light tip like I speak of. I have 2 older Shakespeare micro light in 7' light action. While they are good rods, especially for the money, I think that a 1 piece rod would have a more appealing action for my taste. I'm just too cheap to give up the big bucks for a higher priced rod, so I guess I'll be looking for a while. I need to handle before I buy, and that doesn't make it any easier.
    If you know anyone (and you probably do) that has a B n' M 7' SHSS (Sam Heaton Super Sensitive) rod, you should try it. Plenty of backbone and a very responsive tip. Using the pre-mentioned 2# test fused line, I can cast jigs as light as 1/32 oz. with no difficulty. There is a big difference between a fused line and a braided line. The later will not cast as well as the former.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks skeetbum thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Crestliner, I'll look one up. The Nano is called uni filament. Different than any of the others I have used. Today I handled a BnM duck commander 6' UL 2pc. Found it nice but a bit tip heavy, probably because it was a 2 piece. Still looking........

One of the rods that I will have on my want list is a St.Croix Premier 66lf 1pc. Lightweight and action for days. Just to cheap. May have to bite the bullet......
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Crestliner
    The fused lines like Nanofil and Fireline will cast farther than the old braided lines, but now we have braid with 8 and 12 carriers that are tiny, round, and smooth.
    These new braids cost more than the old rope braid we used before, but casts just as well as the fused superlines.
    One benefit of the new braid is that it is even smaller and stronger than Nanofil.

Good Fishing
    Brent
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I typically don't go below 4 lb and don't use it often . Much of the waters I hit are loaded with obstacles and 4 don't like dock legs and timber and concrete much . I have used 2 back when playing with trout a bit but I won't go that light around this part of the world due to the whales that lurk down under and know the water and obstacles under it better than me ....lol
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    Crestliner
    The fused lines like Nanofil and Fireline will cast farther than the old braided lines, but now we have braid with 8 and 12 carriers that are tiny, round, and smooth.
    These new braids cost more than the old rope braid we used before, but casts just as well as the fused superlines.
    One benefit of the new braid is that it is even smaller and stronger than Nanofil.

Good Fishing
    Brent
    What is the brand name of these new lines? And what is the advantage, if, as you say, they casts just as well as the fused superlines?

BTW, for the record, I would never recommend Nanofil for anything related to crappie fishing. Worked with it for two seasons, both the 2# and the 4#. Terrible knot strength. Does not do well with Alberto knot for use with a fluorocarbon leader and direct ties are a disaster with most knots. And I've been tying knots for many, many decades. I'll stick with Fireline 2# Crystal for now. have the same line on three of my rigs now for over 2 seasons with no problems.....no worries. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

One of the rods that I will have on my want list is a St.Croix Premier 66lf 1pc. Lightweight and action for days. Just to cheap. May have to bite the bullet......
    I have two St. Croix Premier rods, 6' light action. I use 4lb mono and 1/48oz-1/8oz jigs with them just fine. 90% of the time it's 1/32 or 1/16oz though. The only thing wrong with the St. Croix Elite is that one of them isn't 7'. Really love them.

I grew up trout fishing with 2lb and 1/80-1/164th oz jigs, and if your drag is set you can catch about anything on light line. I pretty much stick with 4lb mono on all of my panfish poles now. I have landed carp and drum over 9lbs on my 4lb line, and catfish in the 5-6lb range and a couple bass 24".

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

About really light line. I mean under 4lb test. For the last 6 weeks or so I have been having the best time fishing in years. The line I'm using is 2lb Stren Crappie and Nanofil 2lb.. The bigger jigs in the pic are 1/32 with a #6 sickle hook, and the smaller ones are 1/64 with a #8 sickle. And yes, I can cast them. Not super far but enough to get things done. . Hope you give it a shot one day soon.......Skeet.
    Well done my friend. 99% of the time I use #4 lb Stren. Sometimes, if Bluegill fishing I will use #2 lb Stren. It is always Hi Vis Yellow gold. Works for me too.

Name:  Thumbs up.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  37.9 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    What is the brand name of these new lines? And what is the advantage, if, as you say, they casts just as well as the fused superlines?

BTW, for the record, I would never recommend Nanofil for anything related to crappie fishing. Worked with it for two seasons, both the 2# and the 4#. Terrible knot strength. Does not do well with Alberto knot for use with a fluorocarbon leader and direct ties are a disaster with most knots. And I've been tying knots for many, many decades. I'll stick with Fireline 2# Crystal for now. have the same line on three of my rigs now for over 2 seasons with no problems.....no worries. JMO!
    Crestliner
    SpiderWire makes 8 strand braid, Same with Power Pro an most major brands....I prefer Seaguar Smackdown and Daiwa Samurai but they are alittle higher priced. There are Higher Dollar Braids, but are hard to get and shipping is $$$.

The benefits are a SUPER STRONG line, and A Tiny diameter....most "Higher End" braids, don't have the heavy wax coating that wears off, are soft and supple without wind knotting or fraying.
    Spider Wire has an opaque 8 strand braid, or a Flouro coated braid....I use 20lb Hi Vis Yellow Smackdown, since my home lake is Heavy Stained and Fertile. I run into Walleye all the time when Crappie fishing up here and I sure don't want to lose one of those prized meals....But then I can also use the light diameter for crappie.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

interesting read ... one thing for certain folks sure do have varied opinions on what performs well ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes cevans, skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast