Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig painting technique

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig painting technique

Hey Everyone,
    I found some jigs the other day that I would like to replicate. I can't figure out the technique though!
    I was told by the person it was powder paint, but wouldn't tell me how to do it. I tried manually swirling the paint, I tried an oven technique from another forum, and I tried the high setting on my heat gun to melt the paint together... Nothing has worked. I did have a thought that maybe a shot of compressed air might work or I might just have to get a powder gun.
    Let me know your ideas! I'd really like to add this skill to the arsenal 😉
    Name:  17156220_1907140459515094_8467338889414432191_n.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  107.1 KB

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try this. Heat painted jig head, take a really fine tipped artist brush and dip in second paint and swirl it on while paint is hot then bake. It will spread out some when baking.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes jense822 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Melt powder paint in a spoon and drizzle over heads and bake.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!
    Likes jense822 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Its called hydro dip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gaspumper View Post
    Its called hydro dip.
    The guy that made them said it was all powder paint

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the guy could have hydro-dipped those jigs and applied a powder clear coat, but he said it was all powder paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish View Post
    Melt powder paint in a spoon and drizzle over heads and bake.
    Sounds interesting have you tried it?

Post Thanks / Like

I have done this before but there was not much money in it for my business.

From a jig perspective, the guy isn't that good. Hopefully he isn't selling them as the jigs have paint nipples and the eyes are full of paint.

That said, here is the tip/trick/whatever you want to call it to make that work.

There are actually a couple of different ways to make this happen.

The first is the harder of the two. After I dip my jigs, I utilize a sewing needle to remove the paint from the eyes of the jigs. At times, it leaves a string of paint on my table. Several strings of paint later, you can add those strings of paint on to your dipped top coat while applying heat with a heat gun. Can make some interesting patterns.

The second, and most common way of doing this is to "paint layer". You will take a certain amount of powder, put it in a cup, take a different color, put it in the cup, and so on. You dip your jigs through all layers to get the swirel pattern. Paint doesnt have to be layered horizontally, it can be layered vertically, split side to side, one half one color, one half the other.

The problem with this (and might be the reason for his paint nipples) is that you cannot stir the mixture. Once you stir it, you are putting all of the powder together. As a result, after the first couple of dips, your powder gets packed in.

Another way to accomplish this is with a coffee straw. Pack it with powder and direct it on to the jig while heating. And yet another way is to heat the end of a paperclip, dip it in the powder, remove, and then draw on your swirl or line while heating the jig.

To me, it looks like the drawing technique or the utilization of the paint strings technique.

In selling 20,000 plus jigs in the last 3 months, I can tell you that, although this technique looks cool, I doubt highly whether it will catch anymore fish. That said, from a bait maker prospective, the goal of business is to "CATCH FISHERMAN". This is a gimick product that would do just that!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes 20watt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I have done this before but there was not much money in it for my business.

From a jig perspective, the guy isn't that good. Hopefully he isn't selling them as the jigs have paint nipples and the eyes are full of paint.

That said, here is the tip/trick/whatever you want to call it to make that work.

There are actually a couple of different ways to make this happen.

The first is the harder of the two. After I dip my jigs, I utilize a sewing needle to remove the paint from the eyes of the jigs. At times, it leaves a string of paint on my table. Several strings of paint later, you can add those strings of paint on to your dipped top coat while applying heat with a heat gun. Can make some interesting patterns.

The second, and most common way of doing this is to "paint layer". You will take a certain amount of powder, put it in a cup, take a different color, put it in the cup, and so on. You dip your jigs through all layers to get the swirel pattern. Paint doesnt have to be layered horizontally, it can be layered vertically, split side to side, one half one color, one half the other.

The problem with this (and might be the reason for his paint nipples) is that you cannot stir the mixture. Once you stir it, you are putting all of the powder together. As a result, after the first couple of dips, your powder gets packed in.

Another way to accomplish this is with a coffee straw. Pack it with powder and direct it on to the jig while heating. And yet another way is to heat the end of a paperclip, dip it in the powder, remove, and then draw on your swirl or line while heating the jig.

To me, it looks like the drawing technique or the utilization of the paint strings technique.

In selling 20,000 plus jigs in the last 3 months, I can tell you that, although this technique looks cool, I doubt highly whether it will catch anymore fish. That said, from a bait maker prospective, the goal of business is to "CATCH FISHERMAN". This is a gimick product that would do just that!

Thanks wicklundrh!
    That makes a lot of sense now! :D
    I myself am actually a fan of plain jig heads (they never chip) haha but like you said it's for the customer. Thanks for the information it is very helpful. I am looking forward to trying some of your tips just to see what I can come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

haha as I was typing my last response and my girlfriend sent me a text and said she figured it out! Not bad for a first attempt. I didn't even get to show her all of the tips you guys shared yet haha.
    Name:  Swirl_Jigs_042717_firstattempt.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  124.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast