HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still Learning

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Learning

OK...so I decided to try out this spider rig stuff.....first, tried using 2 hooks per pole with swivels, bell weights and hand made leader with a hook ....line constantly got tangled up with swivels and hooks tangled with each other, etc....so I went with one hook per pole (using shiners).....about 50% better....then I found this you tube video (forgot the guy's name) of his set up....I modified it a little with my BPS bobber stoppers....the hook at the bottom is how I single pole fish with a slip cork....shown is with a 1/2 oz weight and a size 1 aberdeen hook....hook the shiners thru the eyes trolling or thru the back if stationary or slightly drifting......love those BPS bobber stoppers....I replace the plastic bead with one a little larger....

OLD SETUP....

Name:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  49.7 KB

NEW SETUP

Name:  IMG_1202.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  65.1 KB
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So much for the set up, where's the fish. That should do it Bruce no problem. I need you to find some fish for me to catch on Saturday when I'll be fishing with my son in Henderson.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prefers shiners View Post
    OK...so I decided to try out this spider rig stuff.....first, tried using 2 hooks per pole with swivels, bell weights and hand made leader with a hook ....line constantly got tangled up with swivels and hooks tangled with each other, etc....so I went with one hook per pole (using shiners).....about 50% better....then I found this you tube video (forgot the guy's name) of his set up....I modified it a little with my BPS bobber stoppers....the hook at the bottom is how I single pole fish with a slip cork....shown is with a 1/2 oz weight and a size 1 aberdeen hook....hook the shiners thru the eyes trolling or thru the back if stationary or slightly drifting......love those BPS bobber stoppers....I replace the plastic bead with one a little larger....

OLD SETUP....

Name:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  49.7 KB

NEW SETUP

Name:  IMG_1202.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  65.1 KB
    That should work fine! If you have an area where you can bounce of the bottom (without hanging up) and locate fish 1-4 feet from the bottom you can try this setup also. It has worked fine for me. Drop to the bottom and reel up a foot. (It's a 3/8 bell weight on the bottom with hooks 12-18" apart with a swivel on top)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    *Mike*

MATTHEW 7:13-14
    Thanks prefers shiners thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

**I'm still learning too, but through trial and error this has been most effective for me. The best thing I've found is having the swivel on top is when I get 2 lines tangled just unlock the swivels and fixing the tangles are much easier

*Mike*

Likes Dapet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

*** and with having the weight on the bottom instead of a hook is when I run over brush it usually just passes through instead of hanging up.
    Just my 2 cents

*Mike*

Likes Duckcomando LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I started using VMC spinshot hooks this year and they have worked well. No tangles. I use #2 or #4 hooks spaced 16 inches apart with a bell sinker on the bottom and a small barrel swivel at the top.
    Only need three more years before I can think like a fish.
    Likes NwLa sacalait LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    So much for the set up, where's the fish. That should do it Bruce no problem. I need you to find some fish for me to catch on Saturday when I'll be fishing with my son in Henderson.
    "gene"
    I wish I knew where they are.....my last trip on 4/12 I only had one thro back sac.....the water was still rising then....looks like it is wanting to start falling....hoping that will turn them on.....you gonna be fishing for sacs or bass or both.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    "gene"

Be careful, supposed to be bad weather Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce, that is the same bobber stops that I use. Jlaughin turned me on to them years ago. Just another perk I have gotten from members of CDC. I like those stops better than any others I have used.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!
    Likes prefers shiners, MO Slab LIKED above post

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce, just sacs. Thanks for the warning Scotty. We fished the same tourney every other year as that is when my son is off. Two years ago we say under the bridge for 3 hours waiting out storms and finally gave up during a break and got the boat loaded on the trailer. Hopefully it will be better this year.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast