Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Trip Report, Blackwell Swamp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Trip Report, Blackwell Swamp

I fished Blackwell Swamp this afternoon for a few hours. I found a few gills in the open spots with a small white twister tail.Name:  170416-1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  80.6 KB

FYI, bad picture, but I didn't want to get too close. If you decided to try Blackwell Swamp, there's a very large Momma gator guarding her nest. Watch out for her and give her plenty of room. She'll around 10 feet.

Name:  170416-2.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  49.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Blackwell swamp ! There was some wild things used too go on at that place .
    The truth is hard to accept, so is life .

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good trip ditch. I have seen some big ole gators over that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Basser View Post
    I fished Blackwell Swamp this afternoon for a few hours. I found a few gills in the open spots with a small white twister tail.Name:  170416-1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  80.6 KB

FYI, bad picture, but I didn't want to get too close. If you decided to try Blackwell Swamp, there's a very large Momma gator guarding her nest. Watch out for her and give her plenty of room. She'll around 10 feet.

Name:  170416-2.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  49.4 KB
    saw one about that size Thursday in the gravel pit where I saw you a couple of weeks back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverboss View Post
    saw one about that size Thursday in the gravel pit where I saw you a couple of weeks back.
    I've been fishing a gravel Pitt down there some.trying to be really careful.ive never saw any in this particular one but I'm sure they are there

Post Thanks / Like

I look for there to be a lot more gators in these areas over the next few years as the winters here use to keep them in check with few of the new hatchlings making it thru to Spring but with our winters becoming very mild with very few days below 20° now more and more baby gators will start surviving. That Blackwell swamp momma has been a fixture out there for years or at least one like her. I don't know how long they live in the wild but even back in the late 70' and early 80's a couple of co-workers I use to know would always talk about the 9 or 10 ft gator out there near the three springs area.

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing buddy and I saw one about 4 years ago that was about 5ft in the White lily on Wheeler area but since then haven't seen any. We are not sure there is one n that area now because of the increase in water rodents , musk rats and beavers. I do know there is has been a great increase of Cotton mouths this year and last!!!

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job DB! Exciting to see one of our Northern AL gators! You are correct to not get too close to a momma on a nest. We used to have them come up to our boat in southern MS to check us out. Never worried in a metal boat with motor. Like you, I would not approach in a kayak. Thanks for sharing.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes Damion Kidd LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice day out with nature!

Post Thanks / Like

Fine mess of gills my friend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast