HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New ulterra/New batteries/New Charger

Post Thanks / Like

Default New ulterra/New batteries/New Charger

So I mounted the new Ulterra and found I had a bad battery in my 24v setup. So off to Walmart and got two new everstart 29dc batts to replace the group 27s. My old onboard charger is a two bank Guest 10 amp 1999 model. Since I had to order two new battery trays for the larger batteries I thought I may as well upgrade the charger also. Cabelas had their branded two bank 12 amp. These are supposed to have a equalization mode. Is this charger going to be good enough to take care of my charging needs. I'm known to fish 8 or so hours a day but not back to back.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 2 bank 10 amp charger and have never had a problem with the batteries not being ready the next day.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A 2 bank 12amp probably means 6amps per bank. And yes, it will charge them ... it just may take a bit longer than a 10amp/bank charger would. If you put the charger on them when you get home, they should be ready to go by the next morning. I would think so, anyway.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    So I mounted the new Ulterra and found I had a bad battery in my 24v setup. So off to Walmart and got two new everstart 29dc batts to replace the group 27s. My old onboard charger is a two bank Guest 10 amp 1999 model. Since I had to order two new battery trays for the larger batteries I thought I may as well upgrade the charger also. Cabelas had their branded two bank 12 amp. These are supposed to have a equalization mode. Is this charger going to be good enough to take care of my charging needs. I'm known to fish 8 or so hours a day but not back to back.
    It really depends on how your fishing and useing your TM......I run two group 31 batterys for my 24 v Terrova. I pull crankbaits a lot...Pulling them I sometimes run 8 hr.s continous at 1.8 mph.....Thats why I had to have the group 31s to make the 8 hrs at that usage. My charger Is a 3 bank 30 amp charger which is ten amps per bank....MinnKotta 330D...It charges them up overnite when they have been used hard like that. If your spider rigging or long lineing jigs you will be running at much slower speeds and wont be depleteing your batterys as much and a 6 amp per bank charger should bring them back overnite.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Old charger is 10 amp total @5 per bank. New one adds 2 more amps. I mainly fish brush piles.

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't installed yet you might want to consider a 3 bank charger to include the crank battery, especially if you run your electronics off the crank battery. I know the motor will provide a partial charge to this battery but will not provide the battery maintainer that a charger will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Bricks LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone run the Pro Mariners? Seems at $150 shipped the price is right, but wondering if they last?

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Pro Bank 20 on my 2 series 31 trolling batteries and really like it. Had it 1.5 yrs now and works like a charm. It will optimize the 2 batteries after charging and I keep it plugged in the entire time I had it as I garage the boat. mine is a 2 bank. I use a Gen 1 4amp on the starting bat. with all the depth finders and electrical on battery, from basspro and it will charge it overnite with no problems. Just plug them in when first getting home and easy to leave plugged in till your ready to rock and roll again.
    Last edited by cevans; 04-16-2017 at 08:04 PM.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of the ProMar 10 amp 2 bank chargers. One came on the boat and when I upgraded from 24v to 36v I didn't have enough room for a 4 bank so just installed an identical 2 bank. No issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just put 2 12V golf cart batteries in my boat for the same reason .... want to pull cranks all day if I want. These are 155 AH each and I am looking for a new charger also. (I have a 24V Terrova)

I am looking to charge them at 10 or 15 amps per battery .... is 15 A going to reduce the life of the batteries?

The Minn Kota precision MK 220 PC or the MK 23O PC are the ones on top of my list right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast