HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Line depth indicators for vertical fishing techniques ...

Post Thanks / Like

Outdoorsron, the depth hunter line is marked a different color every 25 feet. There are four colors then colors repeat. Then during teach 25 foot section there are five foot marks. The Berkeley marked braid, if I recall correct, is a grn solid line with blacks marks every five feet.

Since im old and forgetful, I took colored sharpies and colored a bar graph on my fish finder cover reminding me the sequence of the colored braid.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the old out-stretched arms distance approximately equal to one's height, being close to 6'
    (okay, on a really, really good day), I then measure 6' at a time ...
    A man's gotta believe in somethin' - I believe I'll go fishin'
    Thanks lepcur thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let not forget about the line clip on your bail type reels. I used it a lot for long lining. It would work good on the vertical fishing.
    LittleJohn
    Thanks lepcur thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small thin piece of yellow tape (cut a 1" piece of yellow tape down the center) that is wrapped around the rod at 6' down from the tip and the other piece down from the tip at 8'. If I need 10', my rod length is 10'. Also, for fine tuning, I know that from where my line comes off my spinning reel to the first line guide above it is approximately 2'. I can easily pull out 2' of line at a time. Seems to work good for me in most situations.
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Man these are all great ideas ...and good discussion ...

Braid is out for me on spider riggin rods - tried many brands - just don't like it on spider riggin rods... (I do like Power Pro Super Slick for catfish rods but that's not relevant to this discussion) ...

So here's a little more info to discuss using my own spider riggin setup as an example ... :

I spider rig with 10 rods (sometimes 12) ...

Each rod is set to a different depth until a depth pattern developes (which sometimes doesn't develope at all that day) ...

I see no problem using some of the methods mentioned here on setting the depth before putting the bait into the water ...

In the flurry of activity (or just senile forgetfulness) - it's often forgotten/mistaken which bait on which rod is at what depth ...

Now let's discuss methods of checking/readjusting those bait depths = without lifting the bait out of the water and "re-measuring" ...

After all - every second that bait is not in the water is inefficient fishing time ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Rickie, I carry a little note pad with columns and log the depth of rods from left to right. Using multiple rods on up in the day with several quick bites leave me wondering at times. Been hit in the head too many times.

Post Thanks / Like

My Pops still has them Zebco crappie spincast reels with the "depth locator" on em.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whiskerwhipper View Post
    My Pops still has them Zebco crappie spincast reels with the "depth locator" on em.
    I had a couple of those about 40 yrs ago, worked great

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Lots of ideas on measuring depth of bait before putting the bait in the water ...

But very few ideas of how to keep up with the depth the baits are running without lifting the bait out of the water ...

I'll be trying the the knotted bobber stop idea at known intervals to see how that flows thru the eyes ...

If that doesn't suit my OCD - I guess I'll be back to Sharpie ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Rickie, now you got me thinking of a better way too. What about sticking different colored tacks in the handle for different depths. Whether cork or foam it should hold a tack and not leave a large hole. That way just a glance would tell you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast