HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Inflatable PFD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by volfan411 View Post
    I have the BPS version that is currently on sale for $79.99 and love it.
    I have that Bass Pro one too. I bought it because of being cheaper and very light weight. Thought I would wear it more. Have tried it a couple of times but it seems too small when I put on my big jackets, plus I am 235lbs. I am thinking it will be good in the summer.

I also have an older Mustang one that I have had for 10+ years and rarely wear. It is a bigger and heavier one. It still shows the bottle tube as green. I keep thinking it will expire someday and turn red but never has. Am I wrong on this? Should I get a new replacement bottle even though it is still green? Sorry for the hijack question.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older BPS automatic as well but something about the weight of the jacket and the folded collar in back really bothers my neck within about an hour.
    I'm looking for something with a little more comfortable neck in the back.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

No inflatable for me. Just one/two/three more things that could fail when I need them the most.

Regular old foam vest. Got me one that fits. Gives padding should I hit the steering wheel or go over the gunwale. It never fails to float. No bobbin or cartridge to fail. Never open the rod box and find it "inflated" and not wear it. A treble hook won't hurt it etc.

Just can't make myself get an inflatable.

Post Thanks / Like

I own 6 Cabelas 3500 series inflatables. I wear them in rain, snow, ice, freezing splash, you name it. I've never had one go off as a result of being wet due to moisture or rain.

I was fishing a tournament last year in Alpena with Skillet007. A storm came up in the last hour of the tournament. We actually took a rouge 7 footer over the back of the boat. After we hit the channel for weigh in, the storm dumped over an inch of rain in less than 20 minutes. I was still wearing my life jacket when we jumped in the truck after getting everything tied down. And it did NOT inflate due to being wet.

One thing to keep in mind. Check your state regulations in regards to inflatable life preservers. Some states (like Michigan) have since updated their code book to allow inflatables to count as a PFD if it is NOT being worn. I do know that some backwards places have YET to follow the federal guidelines and still require the wearing of an inflatable for it to count as a PFD on board.

Federal law (USCG) simply goes by classification (Type I, II, or III) and all new inflatable are labeled as such. State law can be more stringent and some of them "specifically" state that they must be worn to count. Keep in mind that USCG cannot enforce state laws so they will only go by federal law which allows them to count towards your needed total.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you guys a little advice...do not leave your auto inflate pfd in hour vehicle with windows rolled up on a hot day...it will inflate...had two in my truck and last August when I opened up the truck they both were inflated...not a big deal, but had to deflate and replace the little CO2 inflater....

Post Thanks / Like

See, this is my problem with inflatables. How do you know they are going to work? How can you say one is better than any other one? I guess it's just a crap shoot based on trust? If you've had one for several seasons, to me, it would be wise to just jump in the lake to see if it is still functional, instead of just relying on blind faith. You can always re-charge the vest and testing like this, every few years, should give you enough confidence. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes timd3200, "D", Babweiner, Moveon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I wear my old SOSpenders still. Keep it up to date on the re-arm. Had one go off in the rod locker one year, never in a rain storm. Don't think it would be that easy for rain to activate it the way they are made. Time and humidity will disintegrate the salt pellet in this style. Maintenance required, but even foam life jackets need to be recycled now and then. Read up on them. Some guys still have really old ones that they are relying on, poor move. Get something good, comfortable and usable, and keep it that way. I, too, am in the market for another vest. Won't be a SOSpenders tho since they are off the market. Maybe the HIT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    See, this is my problem with inflatables. How do you know they are going to work? How can you say one is better than any other one? I guess it's just a crap shoot based on trust? If you've had one for several seasons, to me, it would be wise to just jump in the lake to see if it is still functional, instead of just relying on blind faith. You can always re-charge the vest and testing like this, every few years, should give you enough confidence. JMO!
    This was exactly my feeling, and why I put off buying one. I also thought of the "test it" theory. Then I wondered if I would trust the replacement. Where does it end? I have air bags, but am hesitant to test them. What finally made me pull the trigger is this, I WILL wear the inflatable. I, at least so far, will not wear the traditional. Even at 50-50, I have increased my odds. Yes, I am hard headed!
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Three different types
    1) manual/ripcord--what happens if you hit your head while failing out.
    2) dissolvable pill--this is the one you hear people setting off in lockers/hot vehicles/in the rain
    3)Hydrostatic--the best to get.
    Likes SlabPappi, Cray LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think the recommendation is to rearm after 3 years if the device does not inflate.

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappiebass View Post
    I have that Bass Pro one too. I bought it because of being cheaper and very light weight. Thought I would wear it more. Have tried it a couple of times but it seems too small when I put on my big jackets, plus I am 235lbs. I am thinking it will be good in the summer.

I also have an older Mustang one that I have had for 10+ years and rarely wear. It is a bigger and heavier one. It still shows the bottle tube as green. I keep thinking it will expire someday and turn red but never has. Am I wrong on this? Should I get a new replacement bottle even though it is still green? Sorry for the hijack question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast