HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always check the weather...

Post Thanks / Like

The buckets are used as drift socks when the wind is around 10 mph. Stronger winds and I use the big drift sock.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jman5626 View Post
    And I also was not dressed for the occasion. So I froze. Lesson learned... always check the weather before you leave...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always pack enough clothing variety for 4 seasons. I never know when I want to stay long enough to catch 2 fish.
    Likes dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had an interesting day today.
    Temps 39 in the am to mid 50's for a high.
    Winds 12-15mph, with gusts to 30mph.
    Cloudy, no chance of rain until tomorrow.
    Basically we have a pretty good storm blowing in from the South with a lot of rain.
    Took a buddies boat out today, dropped my lake map at the ramp. Stepped on a rock and sank to my mid section. Totally soaked.
    Glad I brought my Carhartt bibs and coat. Decided to put them on once we got to a cove and out of the wind. Was a wet ride as I was soaked from the waist down. We both lost our hats while crossing the lake, both retrieved.
    Got to the cove and I took off all my wet clothes and put on the bibs and coat. Fortunately I got new winter boots for Christmas and was wearing them. My feet stayed warm, even while wet. Took my soaking wet socks off too and drained as much of the water as I could from my boots.
    Dave got the boat hung up on a submerged tree. Then he broke a new $60 pole. We tried a few other places but the wind was getting worse and the whitecaps were growing. The clouds got dark and we both agreed, maybe another day. Got the boat loaded up and while prepping for the trip home we flagged down another guy who forgot to tilt his motor at the ramp, drug his skeg through the parking lot. Appears our luck was turning, it was his turn now. 15 minutes out of the parking lot, it started to rain. Everybody I talked to at the ramp limited out on Crappies. We didn't get a bite all day. I do believe God was telling me not to go Bass fishing on a Crappie day.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes skeetbum, Idunno, dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I always check the weather but will miss a lot of good fishing due to false predictions . When I lived on Enid we sometimes got a limit or close on days the storms were coming . Now I drive 65 miles on 3-5 light and variable wind forcast only to have waves running half way up the ramp, when we arrive .lol So state lakes have become red ear/crappie targets Way more than they used to .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eagle 1 View Post
    I always check the weather but will miss a lot of good fishing due to false predictions . When I lived on Enid we sometimes got a limit or close on days the storms were coming . Now I drive 65 miles on 3-5 light and variable wind forcast only to have waves running half way up the ramp, when we arrive .lol So state lakes have become red ear/crappie targets Way more than they used to .
    I hear ya. This was a 1 1/2 drive from our house and we did check the weather. We knew the winds and gusts and it was going to get worse as the day progressed. Just happened a lot faster than they predicted. This is the storm that blew through the Midwest yesterday. We got the hail, 70mph winds, and sporadic tornadoes in the area last night.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of the dumb people that never turn down an opportunity to launch the boat. But 2 rules dictate my day, and they never change. If it isn't fun anymore, or it isn't safe anymore, it's time for the trailer. I'm a weekender now myself and my chances are fewer, but there is a time and place for everything.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Hanr3, Jman5626, dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I'm one of the dumb people that never turn down an opportunity to launch the boat. But 2 rules dictate my day, and they never change. If it isn't fun anymore, or it isn't safe anymore, it's time for the trailer. I'm a weekender now myself and my chances are fewer, but there is a time and place for everything.
    That's is so true. Words to live by right there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes dannyr3_8 LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12