HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Biology at Kentucky and Barkley lakes

Post Thanks / Like

In heaven I'll be a perfect single poler but here on earth it's takes more poles for me to catch fish.
    Likes slabseeker1, prister LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just spent thirty minutes typing my comment. I vented my feelings about this and when I was done I read it and felt better. I then deleted it. Sometimes it's better to say nothing. ?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great info Paul and the job you do. We are all blessed to live and fish in a great state with excellent managerment of the resources. Thank you!
    Likes prister LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking your time to post this here. Very interesting.
    It is what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish the Army Corp of Engineers would change the curve a little more in favor of spawning activity, I by no means am an expert, but it seems if we changed the curve and raised the lake a little faster in the Spring compared to the current track it would provide more productive spawning areas for the crappie as much of the structure seems to be near the banks or near shore. I know we cant control the unforeseen weather patterns or the amount of rain and I heard the argument the Lakes are for Flood Control and Power Generation, although I believe a minor change in the lake level would favor a more productive spawn.
    Thanks prister thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

DEEPCOVER

You do point out another variable that affects the spawn; weather. Most certainly nice weather equates to more fishing pressure, but not always success. This past fall and winter is a great example. The weather for the most part has been mild, hence fishing pressure is up. And, success is up, cause there are fish to be caught, and they are hungry.

We are doing a KY Lake survey this year, which will give us a measure of fishing pressure that I can compare to other years. I don't have those number available yet, but I suspect they will be up, when compared to other survey years where the weather was more winter'ish.

Gary Garth, an outdoor writer, just recently wrote a great piece on the potential for this spring spawn. It can be found at https://t.co/1Rn86wPu0p. Just copy that link into a browser should bring it up. Bottom line is weather does affect the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

redearhoosier

From my original post.

Using the past decade of creel data from Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley surveys, it is evident that the number of anglers utilizing 3 or more poles has increased. At Kentucky Lake the percentage of crappie anglers using 3 or more poles has increased from 17% to 64% in the past decade. We can estimate from this data, if 100% of the crappie anglers would have used 3 poles at KY Lake, crappie harvest might have increased to almost 147,000. This is a 15% increase to the actual harvest of 128,000 reported during the 2015 creel survey. If all anglers would have used > 5 poles, it is estimated that harvest would have increase by 36%. If all crappie anglers began using >5 poles, this would be the worst case scenario where all crappie anglers use the most efficient method. In this scenario, harvest might increase to an undesirable level. In addition, using the creel data, we can also estimate how a pole limit might affect the harvest of crappie. By implementing a 3 pole limit we estimated harvest would only be reduce slightly. The average reduction to harvest at both lakes is about 5%. Though, if overharvest was to become a concern, we feel pole limits might be better accepted by crappie anglers than a further reduction in creel limit from 20 down to 15 or even 10.

Let me first reiterate.. We are not considering pole limits, it is just something we monitor, and if, (IF) overharvest became a problem, then pole limits might be just as beneficial as reducing the limit from 20 down to 10. Please see the "IF" in that sentence. To many on here are reading this post and getting bent out of shape.

What we know, is the number of crappie anglers using 3 or more poles is increasing. We know that fishing with 5 or more poles is extremely efficient. And (IF) 100% of the crappie anglers began using 5 or more poles, then overharvest "might" become and issue. Again, just something we are keeping an eye on.

We try to manage proactively, and not re-actively.

Additionally, some ask, we have a limit, so what does it matter how many poles anglers use. The limits, at the time, were set based on the current population density and fishing trends (harvest success). But as fishing techniques (ability to fish more poles, fish finders, GPS, down and side scan, etc) allow anglers to become more effective, then harvest restrictions need to be re-examined periodically.

Post Thanks / Like

bandchaser and perchjerker108 and a few others that quoted the old saying that 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish.

Interesting. I can use the creel data to debunk that myth. So, from the KY Lake surveys....the data shows that actually 34% of the crappie anglers harvested 90% of the crappie. There you go. The data has proven the ole' saying to be a myth, and not the fact.
    Likes crp4570, crappiemax, itallushrt LIKED above post
    Thanks rebranger thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bandchaser, Slabmaster, Crappiepappy, I agree with everything you've all said. Just feel if anything that will help fortify and help the crappie population and fishing in this state, I'm with you. Paul, just seemed your data suggested that with the lower the pole limit, the possibility of more catchable fish would increase for all fisherman. Will stay out of this for now, and see what happens in the future. Looking forward for the next report from Paul next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lethal View Post
    great read. i'll buy that a 10 inch ky lake crappie is 2 years old, but i am having a hard time with 12 inch fish being 5 years old. i need more stats!!!
    Ok, thanks lethal for the challenge. I love to present the facts, and thanks for calling out what I originally posted as questionable. I will admit, I did not best present the facts, and your questioning the point is valid.

So when I made the original post, I had just aged the crappie I received from Lake Washington (Mississippi). I had the 12.8" fish from MS under the microscope, and it was clearly an age 2 (see the picture in original post). I wanted readers to see what it looked like, because a picture is worth a thousand words. And, I wanted to compare that fishes otoliths with a similar length crappie from KY Lake. So I looked, real quick, through my stack of envelopes with otoliths from KY Lake crappie. The first 12 inch fish I came to, that was close in length, was the 12.7". So I put that KY crappie otolith under the microscope next to the MS crappie otolith for comparison. It just so happen that it was an age 5, versus the age 2 from MS. Luck of the draw....

Not trying to deceive the readers, but the fact is that KY and Barkley lake crappie are slower growing than MS lakes crappie.

So wanting to only present the facts, here is some more data.

Going back through several years of our crappie data from fall trapnetting, and looking at only 12 inch crappie (my sample size was 187 crappie). The average age for these 12" (12.0"-12.9") crappie was 4.0 years old. From this data set, I do reveal that we occasionally have crappie reach 12" by age 2. Almost 9% of the sample was age 2. Age 3 made up 31%, age 4 made up 38%, age 5 made up 9%, age 6 made up 9%, age 7 made up 1%, age 8 made up 1%, and 1% were age 9. This fast growth from a few crappie comes down to good genetics, probably being spawned early, and available nutrients at the time. But on average, 12" crappie for us are closer to age 4.

The age 2 KY crappie ranged in length from 12.0" to 12.6", with an average of 12.2". The age 5 crappie ranged in length from 12.0" to 12.9", with an average of 12.5".

The fact still stands that our crappie are slower growing, which was the intent of my original message. The other interesting thing about this comparison, is that how when our crappie reach age 3, their growth starts slowing down (on the graph KY in darker blue and Barkley in red), while crappie in some of the MS lakes continues to increase. Here is a graph to illustrate that point.Name:  crappie growth comparison.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  42.4 KB

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast