HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Best brand of hi-vis yellow monofilament

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappy Attitude View Post
    Bass Pro Crappie Max 6# - hated it. 2X the memory problems of Mr. Crappie
    Stren Gold 4# - It was so bad I questioned if I got a bad batch. I would land a 12" crappie and on three occasions during the same weekend, the line snapped on the very next big fish. First time ever seeing line snap at my reel. So bad I replaced it with clear Trilene.
    Mr. CRAPPIE 6# - Decent line but has memory problems.
    Suffix 4# - Trying it out now. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Let me know how the Suffix works out for you. I'm trying to keep my options open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have used many of the brands mentioned. I change out my line pretty regular so I don't have issues with it breaking on me. With that being said, I have had line breaks anyway and I sometimes think it is a crap shot when we go purchase line if it's fresh line or not. I have had no issues with Vicious hi vis 6#. The others in my opinion are not far behind. I have moved away from vicious to try the other brands and save on shipping costs (there is a bps close by). Once I use up the spools I now have, I think I will rotate back to Vicious. The absolute strongest line out there is the Mr. Crappie Camo no matter what size! The draw back is you can't see it but my thinking is neither can the fish... I will always have camo in my arsenal. For hi vis, go with Vic!
    Likes Bassingfreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Using 4# Stren gold currently and like it so far. Used the CrappieMax last few years and I will say it was very strong for 4# line.. But, you have to change often. The line twist, line stretch, and memory are the worst I've ever seen.
    Personally, I think the red box Trilene XL is excellent line. Used to use it exclusively, but my eyes have become used to high vis stuff and it's not offered in Trilene XL 4#.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassingfreek View Post
    Let me know how the Suffix works out for you. I'm trying to keep my options open

I ended up having to replace the 4# Suffix after 4 or 5 outings. Kept kinking up in the reel and so I was down to half the spool. I replaced it with 6# Mr Crappie and so far so good. I haven't had much luck with any 4# line on my Pfluger reel.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Likes Woodworker42 LIKED above post

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best brand of hi-vis yellow monofilament

I usually fish 6# P-line original. It's hard to find as I have to special order it. It's not hi-vis (grey) but the strength is amazing. We routinely lift 2 lb whites in the boat with it. That being said there are times I want hi-vis. I tried the Mr. Crappie 6# and it was ok but won't cast as well. Going to try Suffix and the P-Line hi-vis next and see what they do.

God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using Mr Crappie 6# for the last 2 years with no trouble at all. Landed a 30# blue cat with it. We push, pull and single pole with it. Gotta be careful putting any line on spinning reels and watch for twist.
    I can't, I'm fishing.

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-spooled two different spinning reels with Sufix Elite 6lb hi vis and used them both this weekend. Very good initial impression. No problem whatsoever. I will be replacing more reels with Sufix Elite hi vis.
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!
    Likes RogerA, steve64116 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

VICIOUS Hi-VIS YELLOW if it's not available will use P LINE HI-ViS
    YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS...BUT YOU CAN BUY FISHING GEAR.....AND THAT'S KINDA THE SAME THING.....
    Unknown.
    Likes Bassingfreek LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stren gold 6#
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue-jig View Post
    I really think that Ande saltwater mono is the best quality mono that I've ever used. Seems to never get weak or "chalk" after a couple years. However, I've never seen it in hi-vis or anything smaller than 12lbs. If they did, I would load up! ....
    Ande Premium is available in 1/4 lb spools in pink. I have it in 4 lb. test. It's not high vis, but is more visible to me than clear. Ande is very abrasion resistant but is on the stiff side: I tried gray 4 lb test Ande Premium on a spinning reel that had a spool lip diameter of 38 mm.--wider than many ultralight reels have--and had lots of problems with the line jumping off the spool. I put the pink on a reel with a wider spool and have had no problems.

Stren is also very abrasion resistant. It used to have the chalking problems you refer to. I haven't used Stren in a while; could anyone using Stren bought in the last three years tell us whether it gets a whitish film on it after a while?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast