Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slow troll / spider rig

Post Thanks / Like

Found Walmart has a spinning reel
    with rear drag for about $12. Works good.
    Adding some Shakespeare ATS15LC for
    trolling. These have line counters. They
    are about $35 from grizzlyjigs.com.
    Likes mathewjp LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hijack this thread,but what is the difference between spider rigging and pushing ? For that matter,what is the difference between trolling and long lining ?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Not to hijack this thread,but what is the difference between spider rigging and pushing ? For that matter,what is the difference between trolling and long lining ?
    Difference between Spider Rigging & Pushing is mostly speed, and the lack of live bait use when Pushing.
    Difference between Trolling & Long Lining is definition specifics .... Long Lining is a specific type of trolling. "Trolling" is a general term that encompasses Slow Trolling, Spider Rigging, Pushing/Pulling, Side Pulling, Long Lining, and any other name given to fishing from a moving boat. The "specific" names are used to tell exactly HOW a person is "trolling".

That's how I look at it, anyway.
    Likes mathewjp LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am torn between the 12 and 14 foot rods. I want to slow troll shallow water during the spawn as well as deeper water in off season and I fish stained water. Will 12 footers be long enough to not spook fish? I want the BnM PST and would like to stay with a 2 piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Get the 14s and don't look back
    Likes MidMsAngler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I started with 4 hi tech 12s. Then added 4 scr 14. Like the 14s much better. You will probably need a rod transport rack with longer rods. 14s in a smaller boat can be a boat load. Sometimes I have to break them down for security reasons, bring inside, carry in truck, etc. the 3 pic 14s a pain deal with as compared to 2 pic 12s. Does anyone know a good way to break down 3 pc rods without undoing everything?

Post Thanks / Like

Use the small clips and pre-rigged rigs. Just unclip the rig and place it back on the noodle, take the rod apart and I use rubber bands or velcro straps to hold together and then tighten up the line. Not perfect, but does work. Usually to be honest, I leave them together in the boat and tie them together so they don't flop around and get damaged and I have a place overhead to hang them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    Sometimes I have to break them down for security reasons, bring inside, carry in truck, etc. the 3 pic 14s a pain deal with as compared to 2 pic 12s. Does anyone know a good way to break down 3 pc rods without undoing everything?
    I break mine down & put them in "rod socks" ... they stay that way at home and while traveling to/from the lake in the rod locker. And since I put my weights on the main lines, that terminate in a duo-lock snap, all my leader lines could be removed and stored, if needed.
    And actually, I don't remove the leader line with the jighead/plastics when breaking the rods down & putting them in the rod socks ... after breaking them down, I just hook the jig hook on the baitcast reel (above & to the front of the spool) and wind the line in until it's "snug" (but not bending the tip section) and slide them into the "sock".

"IF" ... I were using double rigs, and leaving them on the rods when breaking them down ... I WOULD NOT use rod socks !! They are either nylon material or weaved plastic ... and any exposed hook point WILL eventually poke through them & are a pain to extract.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The first 500 crappie I caught were on cane poles with a carolina rig style with one hook . Have owned pst, ozark, ans southern crappie rods . all work as well as cane . lol . Drink the cool-aid! whats in the water is all the same . cheap line and a minnow . It works .

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using the Southern SCR143T. Are they too heavy a rod for 1/2 to 3/4 oz rig?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast