Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round Up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdog View Post
    John.....Call Billy, he will get you straight. If you can't get a hold of him let me know and I will call you when I get a chance.
    thanks, will do.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Roundup should be fine on bermuda right now, it should be dormant just check for green up. If Bermuda grass is breaking dormancy and greening up don't spray it with roundup. Don't use roundup period on St. Augustine or Zosia they never really go dormant. I have watched folks sod their yards with Zosia or St Augustine spend a fortune then spray it with roundup and kill it.

I would be cautious about spraying atrazine, metolachor or pendimethalin with a pump up hand sprayer. It is going to be hard to get proper rates applied. Might want to try and find a neighbor with a pull type lawn sprayer for that. If you get rates to high you can end up with bald spots in lawn where grass will not grow for some time. I have a backpack sprayer with a 6' research boom that works for small areas easy to calibrate by speed that you walk.

Several have already mentioned weed and feed. That is a pretty easy and safe way to get residual herbicides out. Just read label adjust the push spreader or pull behind spreader to settings on label. It is fertilizer impregnated with atrazine or simizine and usually metolachor. Rainfall activates the herbicides once the stickers pick up atrazine they die. The biggest drawback here is expense. It is reasonable for a small lawn and is easy to apply but to expensive for me with 7 acres to treat plus I don't want to fertilize that big of area. It wil add to my mowing trips and take away fishing time! Lo!

Good Luck!
    Likes stormcloud LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Round Up into March on my whole yard. Doesn't hurt the Bermuda up here till April. I also burn my yard every year in March. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Atrazine add a surfactant spray twice 14 day intervals, before Bermuda greens up after Green up hit with trimec southern lawn if you can still get msma spray after Temps hit 70 degrees

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Add a colorant or food coloring to help see where you have sprayed too.

I have a solo 4 gal backpack sprayer with a big wide fan tip that I use and do good with. I walk a moderate pace and keep tip relative same height and keep my pressure up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Rees Guide, SlabMeister LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I also use turf mark in both back pack and ground rig.

Word of caution with using turf mark with a back pack sprayer. Make sure all of your seals in bottom of tank are good. A few years ago I spayed my yard then it worked into spraying several others homes in neighborhood. I had worked on spraying a couple of yards and didn't notice I had a leak around seal in bottom of tank. Blue turf mark had ran down my back, and into crotch area. Mr. Happy and the boys were blue, I looked like popa Smurf for a few days until the dye finally washed and came off. Wife and I got a laugh out of it but not good the get chemicals in that area!

Post Thanks / Like

I use to buy all of my turf chemicals and grass seed from a place called Agri Turf in Searcy, AR. They were great to help you out, had great prices and delivered to most all golf courses in this area, so it wasn't a problem for them to drop products off at a course. They had a fire a few years ago but I think they opened back up I have not bought from them in a few years. Great to do business with!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 24D on anything with a broadleaf. So many plants have become Round Up resistant it is not funny. Round Up barely effects Bermuda even when it isnt dormant. May turn it brown for a week or 2 but it will bounce back.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickers View Post
    I use 24D on anything with a broadleaf. So many plants have become Round Up resistant it is not funny. Round Up barely effects Bermuda even when it isnt dormant. May turn it brown for a week or 2 but it will bounce back.
    I know that on our practice fields for years we used round up in paint . Lines would grow over quick when you fertilize and water .(yep , epa came knocking a few times )

Post Thanks / Like

John, be real careful with the Roundup. My Bermuda has greened up pretty good already. I have nothing in my yard but Bermuda by spraying Podiamine and Atrizine , both pre-emerge, in Feb and Oct. and have not had a need to Roundup. As said for the stickers and broadleaf you need 2-4D. As mentioned be careful with a hand sprayer for overlapping too much.
    My yard was a mess when moved here and by using the above method even the guys that do this for a living say I have the best looking yard in town.
    If you have any questions give me a call or I can come look at it when I come over,if you want me to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast