Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Lining Pole

Post Thanks / Like

I love long lining- I use 6'-9' rods with Med light tips, Wally Marshall spinning reels, #50 and #75. They work great with 6/8# line. I love to fight a fish with this lighter equipment. It's a hoot, when you get a big one on. $50 +- for complete rig. They old up fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Buck's Best Ultra Lite Jigging pole. I suppose you could use it for long-lining.. can't imagine why it wouldn't work. But what it excels at is vertical jigging. Super sensitive, lite, and good backbone in the middle. The pole comes in 10', 11', or 12' and is 2 piece
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How many poles you wanting to buy? Title says your wanting to long line but then your talking like 1 pole for jig fishing. 2 different animals. Today started Grizzly jig's big sale. They have great prices on 3 plus units of every pole the sell plus they give you grizzly bucks you can use even over the phone. Best place to buy poles this week.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes rebranger LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't get on BnM site, either.

Link is to Bucks Best UL rod, according to the URL. But it's a rear reel seat jigging rod, so it would be unsuitable for placing in a rod holder.

If you're longlining just a jig (or two) without any appreciable added weight ... pretty much any rod will work, if your pulling out the back. If out the side, you may want a couple of feet difference in length of each rod used ... like 6ft - 8ft - 10ft ... so you can separate the lines trailing back. That gives you a wider spread of water covered, plus helps keep your lines from tangling. (that's the theory, anyway)

You might also want to take a look at Southern Crappie Rods. Several members use them and are very pleased with them. I don't have any, myself, so I cannot attest to their quality. But, they are priced very low in comparison to a lot of other "name brand" rods of the same lengths (ranging between $35 - $50 for 6' to 16' rods). Home - Southern Crappie Rods

And if you end up deciding to go with a BnM product, I'd contact Grizzly Jig to see if they carry it .. as they sell them around $10 cheaper than direct from BnM.
    Likes blue-jig LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually my pole is not a bottom seat. And... you are dead on - Grizzly is 20% cheaper than going through BnM direct.

https://grizzlyjig.com/p-273-bucks-b...lite-pole.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

For long lining I use b&m pst from 8 to 16 foot in very pleased with them. They can handle whatever you get into from catfish to hybrids. I got mine from grizzly and they have there sale going on now.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Actually my pole is not a bottom seat. And... you are dead on - Grizzly is 20% cheaper than going through BnM direct.

https://grizzlyjig.com/p-273-bucks-b...lite-pole.aspx
    Sorry, JD .... couldn't get on BnM so I Googled "bucks best ul" and checked it out on Fish USA's site. It came up with the rear seat version. My bad !!

Post Thanks / Like

BnM makes the pole with a bottom seat too.. so you weren't wrong

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I am not an elitist. I buy cheeeeep. I have a lot of Richard Williams original poles which I use mostly. 7 footers and 10 footers and a mix of cheep reels. Long lining is not scientific. Ima gonna make it scientific this spring.
    Be sure when you go scientific on us that you keep a journal and write down every move you make so you can post all your scientific data you collect so we can study your scientific results. Please???

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Cane Pole, "G" LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggah View Post
    I was looking at the BnM Richard Williams Crappie Wizard poles .... um, $79.99? Nope

I have a 8ft I been using as all purpose and it does good. Great tip action. I also have a 6ft shakespeare I use for casting the float n fly. I was wanting to get a 10 fter and use the 8 fter for jigging. Sometimes we bank fly n float .. sometimes we tight line minnows straight down .. sometimes we slow troll / long line.
    The original poles were 20 dolla each. That was last century. I still gottum.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast