Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your vote? Minn Kota Terrova w iPilot and Spot Lock, or Motor Guide Xi5?

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched a few videos on the new 2017 spotlock, including a few that used standing timber or markers as reference points in breezy conforms and the boat didn't wander more than a foot or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older Terrova 80lb powerdrive I bought the Ipilot upgrade for a couple years ago. My boat is a 20' cc that catches wind pretty good. On a windy day 35' radius is probably normal. Calm days 15'-20' is probably pretty close to how it performs. If reviews come back great on the new units it will be hard not to upgrade; be like having deep water power poles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes dstreet, TimY, Crappie ciller LIKED above post

Ranger09 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had the pleasure to try out the Minn Kota Ultrex today. I will say I'm very very impressed. I will also say using Lowrance Electronics there are certain things this motor will not do, but would if connected to a bird. It will not follow a trail or route using Lowrance. That's not exactly what I was interested in. The Anchor mode worked flawlessly holding within what I would say 1' either way from where I anchored it several different times. We were fishing piles and placed a marker on the pile and when I hit anchor I placed another marker 1' in front of the motor. It was flawless even in the current on upper Ft Gibson. I will say the electric pedal was more responsive than my cable drive and took a few minutes to get use to. The lift assist on the storing bracket was great and was what I expected as I have a Fortex. Guys if I was wanting a tm for no other reason as spot lock this is the motor for you. Hands down I love this motor.......Ranger
    Likes Crappie ciller, crappie flash LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

About time Minn Kota fixed the spot lock. The Xi5 raised the bar on that feature and they needed to be competitive.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER
    Likes dstreet, Crappie Reaper, Frank300 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't the XI-5 hold in a plus or minus 1 ft. also. Never tried one so don't know how accurate they are.
    Likes dstreet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt any of them will consistently hold in one or two feet. They are governed by GPS and it's not that accurate. My Xi5 holds me consistently on a brushpile until I want to jog to one direction or another, or move on.
    Likes Frank300 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IkenI View Post
    I doubt any of them will consistently hold in one or two feet. They are governed by GPS and it's not that accurate. My Xi5 holds me consistently on a brushpile until I want to jog to one direction or another, or move on.
    The new spotlock includes a second sensor, which I think is what helps with holding more accurately.

Ranger09 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ultrex does indeed have its own gps in the head of the motor. From what all the reps said I talked to they state it's the best advanced gps ever used in the boating industry. All I know is what I experienced yesterday on Gibson with current on the river. It held us tight all afternoon. It's quite and I see less battery use as a conventional tm. As of right now from all the others I have used or been around it's hands down the best I have been around. Love the anchor button on the foot pad and also the convenience of the neck lanyard controller......Ranger
    Likes dstreet, Crappie ciller, crappie flash LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The Xi5 also had additional sensors. This is one thing that Minn Kota did to improve their accuracy. Both brands are good - just gotta decide which is for you. However, as I stated above no gps can consistently keep one foot accuracy. If all things are perfect they can come close. You need to understand the limitations of GPS. I've began using GPS 55 years ago in it's earliest stages in the military. To understand it's limitations (which are not much) go to:

GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy

from which I quote "Real-world data from the FAA show their high-quality GPS SPS receivers attaining better than 2.168 meter horizontal accuracy, 95% of the time."

Off to Grizzly Jig in the morn.
    Floyd
    Likes Crappie Reaper, dstreet, Frank300 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger09 View Post
    All I know is what I experienced yesterday on Gibson with current on the river. It held us tight all afternoon. It's quite and I see less battery use as a conventional tm. Love the anchor button on the foot pad and also the convenience of the neck lanyard controller......Ranger
    The current of the river will help the Ultrex or the XI5 hold good and keep the boat in the right direction consistently. That is true for a constant wind as well. A whipping wind will sway the back of the boat around and might cause for adjustments to try and keep anyone in the back of the boat on the sweet spot. I normally use the remote off the lanyard on my XI5 and will use both when slow trolling. The XI5 has an anchor button on the foot control as well. I have the 24v setup and fished last week on a windy day there were gusts up to 45mph. The XI5 did its job very well. After about 4 hours of constant use, the charge started going down and we decided if we were going to fish the rest of the day, we needed to find a spot less windy. The LED battery indicator on the XI5 had gone into the red meaning the Batteries were getting down fairly low. A gust of wind was even able to blow us away from the spot, but the XI5 came through like a champ and put us back into position. We fished until 5 with the LED staying in the red for over 3 hours. It was impressive. Amazing is the technology of today. Now that Minn Kota has caught up and even fixed their "donut Issue", I think the difference depends on what electronics you like so you can connect them to your Trolling Motor. The Ultrex will connect to Humminbird and Garmin. The XI5 connects to Lowrance. Good fishing to all! Reaper
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast