Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice mixed bag today

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess. Questions for you, so many fish are called "bass", are Rock Bass and Stripes the same? There are small "stripers" or "White Bass" that we catch at KY Lake, are they the same?
    I've heard stories over the years of "huge Stripers" being caught at large reservoirs, are they all the same family? Which are pleasant to eat?
    I cooked a nice size largemouth many years ago, horrible and have never done it again. Guess I suffer from Bass Confusion.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-13-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fillet time!
    Likes MojaveJ LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Funfishers what we call rock or rockfish around my parts is a striped bass and yes they are great to eat. I have also eat largemouth many times before which were good! I think most of it is how it is cooked, I fillet all my fish and then also fillet it off the skin aswell. For cooking I use an egg wash with some Texas pete mixed in it then into seafood breaded in which I like moss's breaded the best. That's how I cook all my fish and they turn out great! Good luck and give them a try!
    Likes funfishers LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfishers View Post
    Nice mess. Questions for you, so many fish are called "bass", are Rock Bass and Stripes the same? There are small "stripers" or "White Bass" that we catch at KY Lake, are they the same?
    I've heard stories over the years of "huge Stripers" being caught at large reservoirs, are they all the same family? Which are pleasant to eat?
    I cooked a nice size largemouth many years ago, horrible and have never done it again. Guess I suffer from Bass Confusion.
    Striped Bass, White Bass, White Perch, Yellow Bass, and the Hybrid Striped Bass are all "true" Bass ... genus Morone.

Largemouth, Ky Spotted, and Smallmouth "Bass" are not really "Bass" at all, they're Panfish/Sunfish ... genus Micropterus.

Some nicknames for the White Bass, Striped Bass, Yellow Bass, and Hybrids sometimes overlap. So, your "bass confusion" is understandable ... and may be why some people lump them together and just call them "Stripes".

Don't feel bad ... I grew up hearing Freshwater Drum called "White Perch", and referred to them as such until I was in my 30's
    Likes funfishers, MojaveJ LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid a long, long time ago I was told a drum was called such because it had rocks or bone in it's head that when he shook his head it sounded like a drum.

Post Thanks / Like

love a mixed bag. you call those stripers rock bass? whatever you call them, bet they fought great on light tackle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfishers View Post
    have seen this here and heard it from people but i have always filleted bass and they are excellent fare. as buffle said, that is how I prepare them primarily and fry up or sautee very well.
    Likes funfishers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Amen!!
    I've been in many arguments with "bass fishermen"

Post Thanks / Like

They were a blast they had the tip of those 9ft ultralites buried in the water for sure and drags were singing!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome man...my oleman hooked a 7 pound rockfish, crappie fishing last year around some pier pillings last year on 6lb line, it was entertaining to say the least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast