HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: am I cheap?

Post Thanks / Like

A quality rod is worth every penny...I can feel fish look at my jig with some of my Loomis rods. Not saying you should go buy one, not saying they aren't pricey. To each their own, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I had a rich older friend that hired a guide 3 days a week (paid him in cash every time) and always invited a buddy along. He had dozens of rods with Shimano Stella and Daiwa Steez reels. He had the most expensive rods he could find. Sometimes I brought my own rods (built by me) and sometimes I used his. We were vertically jigging walleyes and I had my St. Croix SCIV 63MXF with a little Pflueger President. We were all boating eater walleyes. He told me I had to try one of his "good rods". Well, I couldn't tell the difference between the Stella or the Steez, and my little President was just as smooth. His rod handles were too long for fishing in MN in October with a winter coat and a life jacket on. I could feel bites better on my rod. The most expensive reels I buy are Pflueger Supremes (because they are very light).
    Likes lkillebrew LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

like my daddy taught me many years ago ....something is only worth what someone will actually pay for it . that said I can hurt fish with cheap equipment pretty well and it probably wouldn't be fair to the fish for me to own the expensive stuff ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Eagle 1, crappiewisdom, Redge, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I dabble at fly fishing and one of my favorite outfits is a old standby Pflueger rod and reel, probably around $100 total.
    I was in a reel repair shop in the Oregon boonies and I saw a Sage fly rod on a rack of used rods. I asked how much and he said a guy was down on his luck and he bought it from him and he wanted $100 for it. I only had to think a minute, because this is a $400 rod. I also bought the reel that was with it. $50 for a $200 Orvis reel.
    Bottom line, I can't tell a dimes difference in the two outfits and I am scared to death I am going to slam the Sage in a door or trunk lid.
    I've had several fellow fly fishers do a blind test using both and they could not tell any difference either.
    Course we just good old country boys so what do we know?
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Something I said before bears repeating:
    LOL,I have all his books. Love his writing.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    A quality rod is worth every penny...I can feel fish look at my jig with some of my Loomis rods. Not saying you should go buy one, not saying they aren't pricey. To each their own, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    So that's what you do with all the money I send you for those gently used rods/reels I've bought from you off the Classifieds ...

Seriously though ... I haven't made a bad deal with this man on the products he's sold to me, and I'm still using all of them !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    So that's what you do with all the money I send you for those gently used rods/reels I've bought from you off the Classifieds ...

Seriously though ... I haven't made a bad deal with this man on the products he's sold to me, and I'm still using all of them !!
    I admit....I'm a junkie with no intentions of stopping.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes Eagle 1, kycreek LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Something I forgot to add in my previous post; I had a guy in Lawton, OK make me a Lamiglas 6' pistol grip rod in the 70's to hold my 5001c Ambassaduer reel that was the best I could have thought of at the time. The rod had my name on it before the finish was applied. That rod was stolen by a neighbor shortly after returning to FL a few months later, never saw it again. Kinda skewed my thinking on high end rods.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

To each his own, but in my opinion no reel is worth $799.00. Again just my opinion... anyone who pays that much for reel is trying to impress.
    I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I admit....I'm a junkie with no intentions of stopping.
    And your not the only junkie out there either !!!!!

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast