Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 1/2 lb Crappie???

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the pic of it. It was a nice fish but no way to judge it's size in the pic.

Post Thanks / Like

hasn't this been around a few times before??
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I caght 1 day with a cast net that would have stuck out of a 5 gal bucket, had to release them.
    Over the years I've 5 that would have been over the 4 lb mark, all in a cast net.
    All were caught I Feb while looking for shad.
    Crappie nd shad were found in the presence of Carp in shallow water.
    The carp had the water muddied (clear water all around)
    I know they're here but I've never saw one over 15-16" caught, where do they go?
    Water temps had to be in the low 40 's
    When the watr is clear and cold I looked for shallow areas where carp had it stirred up, only way to find gizzard shad when it's cold, I always find crappies with them

Only thing I can think of is the really big ones stay deep most of the year.
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algenco View Post
    I caght 1 day with a cast net that would have stuck out of a 5 gal bucket, had to release them.
    Over the years I've 5 that would have been over the 4 lb mark, all in a cast net.
    All were caught I Feb while looking for shad.
    Crappie nd shad were found in the presence of Carp in shallow water.
    The carp had the water muddied (clear water all around)
    I know they're here but I've never saw one over 15-16" caught, where do they go?
    Water temps had to be in the low 40 's
    When the watr is clear and cold I looked for shallow areas where carp had it stirred up, only way to find gizzard shad when it's cold, I always find crappies with them

Only thing I can think of is the really big ones stay deep most of the year.
    I don't know as they "stay deep" most of the year, as much as they're likely "loners" once they get up to that size. They don't have as many predators, but they also don't have as many "schoolmates" as smaller fish. There's just not that many of them that survive to get that big, so they're kinda left all alone.

As to "where (do) they go" ... pretty much anywhere they want, but they're likely out cruising in open water more often than not, except during spawning season.

And thanks for being a true sportsman & releasing those fish. That's the epitome of a Crappie.com member
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished live bait exclusively for Stripers on Cumberland for over 30yrs.
    Most of of that was using large gizzard shad, but I've spent a few thousand hrs using Alewifes (4-6")
    primarily in opn water from the surface to over 100'.
    I've had incidental catch's of everything in Cumberland except crappie(except in a cast net)
    Now that I'm old and decrepit it's hard on me to Striper fish as much as I once did.
    I've decided to devote more time to Crappie and Walleye.
    I hope to solve the mystery of where the really big crappie go.
    Cumberland is a different Lake after the Dam repairs, it has gone from a deep open water lake with very little cover to one with hundreds of acres of trees/brush.

Post Thanks / Like

pictures without certified scales are meaningless when claiming weight. move the fish close to the camera and it grows exponentially. based on hand size comparison of the ones above, the little one does not impress me as being a 2 pounder either.
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing to me that people travel from all over the country to fish here in Mississippi but I rarely here of a 4 pounded here, like very rarely, maybe twice since I have been a crappie.com member. Yet I here of 4 pounders being caught in other parts of the country.
    Biggest I have seen on the scales was a 17.5 inch beast caught by Feesherman on Lake Washington at our Fruit Jar several years back, fish weighed 3.77.
    I have caught and ate a good many 3 pounders over the years, not sure really how many because we just throwed em in the cooler and kept on fishing without weighing them. In 2015 caught 4 over 3 pounds that we released and in 2016 only had 1 that was real close, weighing in at 2.99 at the Crappie Masters on Grenada.
    The scales make em shrink most of the time but a good fish is a good fish and if the angler is happy I am too. Be surprised how many come to the scales in a tourney expecting more than it really is.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes crappie flash LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12