Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mono or braid?

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mono
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both for different things. I will also say that it isn't for everyone. Knots are a whole new lesson with braid. I mean tangle knots. Once tight they never come loose and you will cut the line there. Also, loops that develop on a spinning reel spool from casting have a different personality. Put a rod together and try it for different types of presentations. It will outcast the mono hands down.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMGeorge View Post
    What kind of knot do you use for tying mono to braid?
    There is only one that will be the slimmest joint as well as the most reliable - the Alberto.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I broke my pole on a snag because of the different personality of braid, when I'm used to mono. I went back to mono and bought a new pole at Cabella's- a BnM crappie pole, 8ft. I'm thinking a longer pole will let me use light weight lures, yet still get some cast distance. Maybe? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eeker01 View Post
    I broke my pole on a snag because of the different personality of braid, when I'm used to mono.
    For mono-
    Yanking a snagged bait usually ends up snagging it worse, in my experience. A straight steady pull will either bend the hook open & free it, or the line will break ... and "never" use the rod, just pull it with your hands or wrap it around something & pull.

When using braid ... NEVER use your hands, ALWAYS wrap it around something. Loosen your drag to the point where you can set the hook on an immovable object and the drag slips ... then you won't break a rod, but the hookset will still drive the hook home on a fish (the positive effect of no stretch).
    Likes eeker01 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use to tie the old Blood Knot for braid to leader , but now find it easier to use a small barrel swivel to connect the braid .and tie a 2-3FT mono leader to the other end of the swivel, then a small black snap lock or tie the lure direct.
    I thought fish trembled when they heard my name.......then I heard the laughter

Post Thanks / Like

I use both braid and mono depending on how I am fishing. When fishing deep water you will find me using braid. It is way more sensitive than mono and you can feel the bite much better. I carry a wooden dowel with me so when I do get hung I simply apply pressure to straighten the hook. If you try to loosen snags with your rod you will snap the tip. You also can't use your hands unless you want it sliced open. I use 10/2 Power pro braid in yellow. I use mono when fishing shallow during the spring or when I am slip corking. Each line serves a purpose but if I could only use one it would braid with a mono leader.
    Likes eeker01 LIKED above post

cevans is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Braid as I don't loose as many lures using it also.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMGeorge View Post
    What kind of knot do you use for tying mono to braid?
    I use the double uni knot.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mono for all of my casting and spider rigging but when jigging i use braid the sensitivity and toughness is the reason why.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123