Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: How does one know how deep their cranks are running?

Post Thanks / Like

Double post. Stupid device thinks it smarter than me ..wait.. maybe it is.
    Last edited by John Doe; 09-30-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Double post
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great thread. Will take me a while to absorb all that. Thanks Cray

Post Thanks / Like

just cast your bait out a good distance....run from deep water....now you should hold your rod for this....then troll from way deep to gradually shallower water and watch the depth on the ff.....when ya feel the bottom with ur crank...you know bout how deep its running with ur line and speed...then you can let more line out or add weight or go faster to get deeper....but remember...in the words of the "G"....most people fish too deep for sacs....so start shallow and go deeper and let them tell ya where and what color....and this advice comes from cdc also...and more advice which comes from the thread you are currently reading(maybe)...a busy troller is a productive troller.....

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of very good advise in this post. I suggest for you to utilize all these options. write the formula down and place it in the boat in case line counters go out or you have rods without line counters. You can use the charts located here on this site for bandits and arkies. Also consider using depth hunter braid due to the fact it is marked with different colors for counting out length of line. If you have a touch of ocd, like me, i use line counter reels plus depth hunter braid while using the charts.

Finally all of the charts in the world are not exact for your boat and rod setup. they will get you very close. When you get your set up find a gentle sloping point going into deep water prefer one without cover or snags. Troll across it at a marked length at a selected depth, i.e. 15 feet. Watch your depth finder and see if the target depth is when the lures actually are making contact with the bottom. You may find that for your rig you might have to run a foot deeper or shallower than what the depth chart states. You will find different manufactures lures will run different. Also the different models of the same manufacturer will run different than the charts. Watch your turns. When you are turning one side will run deeper than the other. If you are picking up fish in turns only on one side then you need to adjust your set up to deeper or shallower.

Final thoughts. Rig and go fish. Time on the water will give you the experience you need. Also, you need to add the length of line out of the water to the charts stated length. The charts measurement start at the water line to the lure. If your set up has your rod tips high with a lot of line out of the water your lure will not be running the depth you think it is if you don't.
    good luck and enjoy.
    Likes fishervet, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

how do you guys have them rigged with 2 Oz of weight? just a slip sinker down to a swivel then a lead back to your crank?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM1 View Post
    how do you guys have them rigged with 2 Oz of weight? just a slip sinker down to a swivel then a lead back to your crank?
    Trolling weights...have swivel made in them....tie main line to it and then a three ft. leader from other end to crankbait.......this is for pushing.....for pulling you do not need a weight. Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 253
Size:  128.4 KB Pushing depth chart
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM1 View Post
    Trolling weights...have swivel made in them....tie main line to it and then a three ft. leader from other end to crankbait.......this is for pushing.....for pulling you do not need a weight. Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-30-08-04-55_resized.png
Views: 253
Size:  128.4 KB Pushing depth chart
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Pulling depth chart Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-29-15-17-29_resized.png
Views: 187
Size:  39.0 KB Line measured from where it enters the water
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate all the help for the rookie. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work, but we all still want to be successful. Especially my fishing partners - (wife primarily and my son).
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A good place to buy good line counter reels cheap https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...trolling-reel/
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast