Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: Minners or no minners?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always use minners

17 23.61%
  • Depends on circumstances

38 52.78%
  • Never use minners

17 23.61%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To minner or not to minner? That is the question.

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows almost exclusively, unless I'm traveling on vacation. Then minnows can be a hassle.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes scrat, Cane Pole LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

MOST of the time I use jigs. I pretty much gave up taking minners ALL the time, about 30yrs ago. BUT .... the minner bucket is always in the boat. I may be stubborn, but I ain't stupid.
    Likes Hanr3, scrat, jwilson48, IkenI, pineplace, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

when I was a kid all we had was minnows mostly for crappie fishing, maybe a few odd looking doll flys. For close to fifty years I have fished with plastics or hair jigs and nothing else. I know minnows have a place and sometimes out fish the plastics but to me that is rare and only in certain circumstances. of course this is just my opinion.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can find fish, I catch them on plastics and light jigs. Last time out - 54 fish/ 5 different species.
    Started using some curl tail grubs yesterday and did okay, but my own designs (4) do better any time of day.

tail of a plastic worm
    Name:  IMG_2224.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  89.7 KB

bottom two were hand poured
    Name:  IMG_2645.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  53.6 KB

1/32-1/8 oz jigs and I'm all set.

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I first started fishing for white perch I always carried shiners. One day I went to a good spot, baited one pole with shiner and placed in the water. Picked up a jig pole with small hair jig and caught 4 fishing beside shiner. Didn't get a bite on live bait. I do put grass shrimp on my jigs, fish luv them.

Post Thanks / Like

It really doesn't matter as long as you are catching and having fun! If you aren't catching get to the marina for a dozen minnows and fish them. Who really cares anyway? It is a fisherman's preference and i will never hold it against anyone that uses what ever catches fish.
    I see people that belittle others that use minnows. Those are not true fisherman.
    I for on know I have had more LIMITS in one year by using minnows than standard jigs and I get minnows by the pound which is cheap!

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped using minnows years ago.Don't know about other lakes throughout the country but the ones I fish the crappie nibble is a game changer. I absolutely would not head to the lake without them.I was made a believer from the best crappie fisherman I had ever known and have done the same with many people who have fished in my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say there's nothing like dropping a jig in a brush pile loaded with crappie. With that said, I have minnows in my boat 98 % of the time. I have seen to many days especially in the winter, where you can straight line minnows with a niblet and catch bigger crappie than on artificial bait. I do believe you can catch quantity with jigs but if you are fishing for big crappie, a minnow is hard to beat. Just my preference but I would rather go through the hassle of taking live bait and catching 10 big crappie versus using a jig and catching 30 short fish. I know there's a lot of big fish caught on jigs but if I had to make a choice there would be minnows in the boat.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always git some minners. The type minners I git depends on what the store has in the tanks. Sometimes I git the JB Market type minners and sometimes I git the Contry Junction type minners. However, sometimes I have to drive to Big Sandy and git the big Sandy type minners cause Contry Junction is out of Contry Junction type minners or they is closed and/or changed ownership again.

When Billbob isa coming, I drive over and git some Milan minners as the Milan Minner farm @ $7 lb.

Unlike spoonie, I can always find fish cause Ima lucky.

This is a true story.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I figured that CP, just like me.
    Randy Andres

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast