Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too Hot?

Post Thanks / Like

It ain't too bad @ 1 am around here...just a little damp from the dew but small inconvenience for the freezer meat.

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket ?"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm usually on the water about 20-30 minutes before first light and off by 8 or 8:30. Fishing from a tube...

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been hot here 18 days over 100 so far this month. Fish early and go home also have a top or umbrella to get under.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been going out in the late afternoon. caught 2 L Mouth's today. The Crappie has been slow. Few I have caught have been small. My truck driving job has me out in the heat a lot so I kinda get used to it.
    US Navy Vet.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I wear thin long sleeve fishing shirts , sunglases , and a hat . Drink lots of water too ! Helps if there is a breeze but Crappie sometimes bite great in midday heat . I love it when everyone but me leaves the lake just about the time the bite gets as hot as the temp .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes "D", gbhill LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I wear thin long sleeve fishing shirts , sunglases , and a hat . Drink lots of water too ! Helps if there is a breeze but Crappie sometimes bite great in midday heat . I love it when everyone but me leaves the lake just about the time the bite gets as hot as the temp .
    I'm going to give the midday heat bite a try. Might as well not much else is working but I think the culprit is we get these hard afternoon gully washers & when I go to the lake a day after the water is too muddy. I hate that.
    US Navy Vet.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gbhill View Post
    I'm going to give the midday heat bite a try. Might as well not much else is working but I think the culprit is we get these hard afternoon gully washers & when I go to the lake a day after the water is too muddy. I hate that.
    Sometimes when fresh water or wind creates a mud line , fish it . When predator fish are suspended look at mud lines cause they sometimes use them for ambushing bait .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yep HOT
    But fishing is also

Sent from my GT-I9515L using Tapatalk
    Likes Mosquitopat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow those are very nice. Great job.

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

Last few weeks was brutal and typical for July, but I was out there from 10 am - 4pm at least four days a week.
    Sometimes I didn't wear a hat and most times had on a sleeveless shirt, shorts and sandals. (Darkest tan I've ever had after the burned skin peeled off!) Even the fish were sweating in surface water temps from 80-86 degrees!

But to stay cool, a few things helped when I needed them:
    White Columbia brand shirt - long sleeves and of a material made for full sun and heat. Makes a big difference when chest and arms are shielded.

Wide brimmed hat - of course. Neck and face need to be covered.

Drinks on ice packs in small cooler. Thirst and heat a bad combination!

Helps if there is a breeze or wind and a few clouds for intermittent shade. (Most days there was TG.)

Fishing was great! Glad I didn't miss it because of a little thing like the heat. The temps have cooled a bit this week as has the water, but after 5" of rain fell last weekend, fish are harder to find.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123