HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Summer crappie patterns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieWhisperer View Post
    You really know you're addicted to crappie fishing when you fish for them year around. Without a doubt fishing during the summer is the most predictable for me. The way I look at is, how does the weather affect me while I fish. The winter has deadly conditions and is by far the worst conditions that affect how well I can fish. On the other hand the summer is tough too but I can always fish from daylight till noon and be off the water before it gets too hot and I'm totally comfortable while fishing. It's also a lot easier to jump in the water and cool off if I need to. The crappie are really predictable in the summer time too. The crappie want shade and they get that from brush piles and standing timber. I know where my best brush piles or standing timber are and I know they will be there. There are several methods that almost always work and all I have to do is find out what they like best or do several of them at the same time. On a normal summer day I will try to get to my brush pile before the sun comes up. I'll position my boat 10 to 15 yards away from the brush pile and I'll cast a 1/16oz weedless jig past the brush pile and drag the jig as slow as I can back through the pile. I can usually catch the biggest fish off the pile casting because the big crappie rule the pile. Casting usually works for the first 30 minutes to an hour after sunrise. After that I'll move in a little closer and pitch a jig with 10 to 12ft of line out and let it pendulum back to vertical straight under the rod. When the early jig bit slows I'll go to minnows. I set up 3 or 4 rods with a splitshot a foot up from a minnow hook and start at a depth of 8/10ft and fish those straight down. After I have those rigged and in the water I use another rod to drop shot another minnow. I use a small bell sinker and a hook on a 2/3" loop knot 18/24" above the bell sinker. I cast this rig all around the pile and slowly drag it along bottom and let it set for 15 to 30 seconds after each drag. I try to leave enough slack in the line to not spook the fish when they pick it up. Usually during the summer I find it very difficult to fish with this rig because I'm catching so many fish off the other 3 or 4 rods. I usually go through a half a pound of minnows before noon and a normal day would be 30/50 keeper crappie on any given summer day on Oologah. That's why I say the summer is the most predictable time to catch crappie. A rule of thumb I use on my minnow rods set straight down is to change the depth deeper when I haven't had a bite in 15/20 minutes. Dropping the hook down another 2/4" works almost every time. I immediately start getting bites again. The fish move deeper into the pile as the day gets hotter. Fishing with minnows is not as fun as jigs, but at least you can usually catch some on jigs really early in the morning. Also, If you can be lucky enough to be there when a thunderstorm blows in, things can get downright outstanding.
    This

Going in the morning

We are thinking about a mister pump In our boat

We use 9 ft umbrellas and Bimini to keep cool

Sent from my GT-I9515L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Got out on Monday with my middle son, CrappieFool41, and fished thru the heat of the day. We wasted time dipping trees til 2:00 then finally broke down and bought a half pound of Arkansas' Finest and burned thru those in 3 hours. We cleaned 39 up to 12" long, throwing back anything under 11". 10fow still producing best for us and we just keep checking brush at around that depth until we find a pile that looks like Christmas. They will hit a jig now and then but ain't nobody got time for dat- we will be soaking minners til October I imagine. Water temp got up to 89.7 tho later this week it was down to 85. Still good clarity for Oo and still very few thumpers. You need to bring your Jedi senses to catch fish right now. 80% are Hitch Hikers and Jigglers and the other 20% are juvenile delinquents who steal your bait. With the water so clear some weird stuff is showing up.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes fishn_a_ledge, KCMasterpiece LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Bib O has jelly fish! Tenkiller does too.

Post Thanks / Like

Only had 38 yesterday
    Slow day
    Had 2 16 inches
    Bluegills have taken over early this year

Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics and congrats to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics, CC.

sent from my durn mini phone using Tapatalk
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

These have taken over

Love the THUMP

Biggun

Finished product

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Machine that last pic sums it up!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes varmithunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redge View Post
    Machine that last pic sums it up!!
    Sums up my belly is full
    And makes me sleepy
    Summer crappie patterns

Likes Redge, varmithunter LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Machine, how big are the bluegills that you are catching?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast