Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Circle hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6/0 all the time fishing with rod / reel whether it be circle hooks or octopus. Caught some big fish on 6/0

Post Thanks / Like

These are nice blues my son and daughter in law recently caught on cut shad. We have been using circle hooks for years. We use them on Carolina rigs, floater rigs and big slip corks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

The only hooks I use are Circle for cats. They work great, anyway you fish them.

Post Thanks / Like

When those big blues hit and bend those ugly sticks down to the water you don't have to worry about settin the hook anyway.
    Likes Broncosfantulsa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Man, yawl 'bout talked me into these circle hooks!

Post Thanks / Like

I use #12 on the jugs. Saltwater circle hooks. Used conventional hooks for years, and am amazed at how the catch rate went up when swapping to the circle hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use 5/0 circles when I first started out. I used hooks that small because I didnt want to miss the smaller fish biting my bait. After missing several big fish because the gap in the hook wasnt wide enough to go around the fish's lip I switched to 8/0 MINIMUM! Well i quit missing the big fish.....an can not even tell if my cactch rate of the smaller fish has slowed down. Point im making is dont be scared to fish with a big hook.....you will still catch smaller fish on that big ole hook.
    Likes Broncosfantulsa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    I used to use 5/0 circles when I first started out. I used hooks that small because I didnt want to miss the smaller fish biting my bait. After missing several big fish because the gap in the hook wasnt wide enough to go around the fish's lip I switched to 8/0 MINIMUM! Well i quit missing the big fish.....an can not even tell if my cactch rate of the smaller fish has slowed down. Point im making is dont be scared to fish with a big hook.....you will still catch smaller fish on that big ole hook.
    I catch 2 pounders on the #12's. Get the occasional dinks. The dinks eat 3" shad. A #12 doesn't make a hill of beans in the overall picture of catching them other than you won't miss the big ones.
    I also do some additional sharpening on the hooks. If they won't hang off the fingernail at a 45 degree angle, they aren't sharp enough. Try yours and see if the factory ones will do that.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right Dennis that's why I mentioned in the earlier post not all hooks are created equal do some research. Not gonna show a favorite to any brand but you get what you pay for.

Post Thanks / Like

I buff mine on my knife sharpening paper wheels and they are like hypodermic needles. Scary sharp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast