Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ultra light fishing rod:

Post Thanks / Like

Default ultra light fishing rod:

ok Iam looking for 2-3 of the old fishing rods ultra lite they were bout 5 1/2 ft 2pc had cork handles with just 2 metal rings that you could slide up n down depending were you wanted your reel location. If anyone knows of were I can get few of these or what company may still make them I would appreciate any leads I could get , thanks Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

The handle you are describing is called a Tennessee handle.

As for the rods, they could have been made by 20 different companies (depending on how far back you are going). The common fishing rods back in the 60's and 70's were Shakespere, wright and miggil, fenwick, and a few others. Most of them were fiberglass rods with a very wippy action. That type of rod can be reproduced rather easily, the issue will be the glass rod vice a graphite rod (but you can still get them). Garage sales are your best bet to find the older rods like you are referring to.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes flyfisherman_53 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman_53 View Post
    ok Iam looking for 2-3 of the old fishing rods ultra lite they were bout 5 1/2 ft 2pc had cork handles with just 2 metal rings that you could slide up n down depending were you wanted your reel location. If anyone knows of were I can get few of these or what company may still make them I would appreciate any leads I could get , thanks Bob.
    Three options:

1) This rod from TFO. It's made from a 2wt fly rod blank. Fly/Spin Rods

2) Call Global Dorber in Flippin, AR. (Their website is currently offline.)

3) Poke around on Ebay till you find what you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, being that I've known Rich for some time now and seen his work, and being that he knows what your looking for, I think unless you are set on the original/antique thing, you ought to have him make you a couple. I guarantee his work.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

if I could find couple originals be nice, wonder what cost would be for Rich to make them and shipping?

Post Thanks / Like

if I could find couple originals be nice, wonder what cost would be for Rich to make them and shipping?
    Send him a PM.

Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

ok Like to thank you fellow crappie fisherman I just found one on e-bay bought it for $10.00 with shipping,, now my next question is no were on the rod blank does it have any info as to who made it but can tell you it is fiberglass, 2 pc and the rod blank color is a blueishgreen anyone know if it was Shakespeare or wright or miggil, it not fennwick, fennwick used yellow blanks on older ones.

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone get the magazine Crappie World? what is your thoughts since they have changed owners? My biggest grip is the discontinued selling it on newsstands.

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with that one.

Post Thanks / Like

ok Like to thank you fellow crappie fisherman I just found one on e-bay bought it for $10.00 with shipping,, now my next question is no were on the rod blank does it have any info as to who made it but can tell you it is fiberglass, 2 pc and the rod blank color is a blueishgreen ...
    My guess would be Garcia Conolon. They had blue blanks.

Vintage Garcia Conolon Ultra Light Action 2601 A 5' Spinning Rod Made in USA | eBay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast