Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Linners step inside

Post Thanks / Like

How far behind the boat do y'all usually cast your jigs when long lining?

Post Thanks / Like

40-50ft usually. What people call a good cast with a 1/16oz jig, sometimes more if you need to get deeper.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net
    Likes captdave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 90 percent of time. 1/32 if I'm sure I'll only be in shallow water. I have trolled in water as shallow as 2 1/2 feet. I almost never use two jigs. Cast about 40 ft behind boat.
    Likes captdave LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like catching 2 fish on 1 pole! Get to my limit faster.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!

Post Thanks / Like

Man I use 1/6 2×1/6 and 1/8 mostly but I'm no expert. I prefer to cast to them. I start learning how to troll just to take people how are not very experienced fishermen like my brother and kids.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys who fish 2 jigs, what knots do you use for the top / bottom jig?

Great thread, appreciate all the knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

I use a loop not on both top and bottom. Use a big loop on top with the long tag tie the bottom to the tag.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4-6" loop knot up front and 1" loop knot on the back. I also always use a fluorocarbon leader that my jigs are tied to. I just use the same knot to connect the hi-vis line to the leader. As stated before, home lake is very clear. I believe it helps. 3-4' between jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

1/16 round head top and 1/32 minnow head bottom if I am double rigging...4 in loop knot on top jig and a small loop for bottom tied about 36 in about...make a good cast out behind the boat, troll along at .8 -1.0 and get ready to fill livewell

I also will run a single 1/16 with a 3/0, #5 or #7 split shot (depending on how deep the fish are) about 24in up the line....catch a heap of them doing this as well.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.
    Likes sporkd2, lcookie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a double jig puller 99% of the time. I also pull double 1/24th heads 99% of the time. I run my jigs 4 ft apart. I use a 4 inch loop knot up top with a palamar knot on the bottom. Typical speed is 0.7 -1.2 MPH. I mainly adjust my depth with using length of line out the back. One good cast is about 5 ft. One good cast with a full sweep of the rod is about 8 ft. Two full sweeps get me just under 10 ft. Never had trouble getting them this way. Anything deeper I will go with double 1/16th heads or pull out the cranks. I use 6 lb test line and I use about 7 different colors. This helps me untangle my lines when they get crossed up. If the tangle looks like more than a minute job I just cut and start over. My typical spread is 14 rods off the back and sides. (10) 12 footers (2) 14 footers and (2) 18 footers. This gives me about a 5 ft lane to fight my catch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast