Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly rod to spinning rod conversion???

Post Thanks / Like

No need for all that trouble just build a spinning rod off a fly rod blank:

Or you could rig the fly reel itself for a conventional rig. Fly rod don't have to cast fly line, nor do you have to have a spinning reel:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bass2Furious View Post
    That's right, I've said something way out of the ordinary!

Ive seen some guys trout fishing with really long poles. I talked to several of these guys and said they converted a fly rod blank (3-4 wt.) into a 2 or 3 piece spinning rod. The question is, how hard is it to convert a 3-4 wt. 6'9" fly rod into a spinning rod for panfish?

Also so to note, I have no experience in rod building, but I'll give a hand at it. I do have a junky 3-4 wt. that I have in my closet that I rarely use anymore and I was wondering if I could just strip the eyes off, re-cork the butt, new reel seat, and put light spinning reel eyes on it.

Thanks guys!

"Calm Sease, My Friend."
    Just take some black electrical tape and wrap the reel to the cork handle.
    Likes 2Bass2Furious LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Just take some black electrical tape and wrap the reel to the cork handle.
    Exactly what I did with an old hand me down. Even taped over the reel seat at the butt end of the handle, so it wouldn't scratch/scrape me or hang in anything when using it. Worked fine for years, and I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't been asked to field test the Duckworth/BnM 8' FnF rod.

The "hand me down" was my Grandpa's, and it had a automatic fly reel on it. He used to use it, fly line & all, to fish for Crappie. He just put a leader on & hook/sinker on the leader and a minner on the hook ... and laid it down on the seat of the old wooden row boats we used to rent from the marina at the local lake we always fished. He'd wait until the Crappie had pulled the end of the fly rod well down into the water, then hit the lever on the reel as he was lifting the rod ... and probably caught as many or more on that fly rod than my Grandma and I did on the 4 spincast outfits we had between the two of us.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Exactly what I did with an old hand me down. Even taped over the reel seat at the butt end of the handle, so it wouldn't scratch/scrape me or hang in anything when using it. Worked fine for years, and I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't been asked to field test the Duckworth/BnM 8' FnF rod.

The "hand me down" was my Grandpa's, and it had a automatic fly reel on it. He used to use it, fly line & all, to fish for Crappie. He just put a leader on & hook/sinker on the leader and a minner on the hook ... and laid it down on the seat of the old wooden row boats we used to rent from the marina at the local lake we always fished. He'd wait until the Crappie had pulled the end of the fly rod well down into the water, then hit the lever on the reel as he was lifting the rod ... and probably caught as many or more on that fly rod than my Grandma and I did on the 4 spincast outfits we had between the two of us.

... cp
    Yeah, the only problem with those automatic fly reels is that they weigh a ton.
    Likes 2Bass2Furious LIKED above post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123