Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time for my yearly plea for C.c members

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many in this thread are marine biologists and actually know what they are talking about? Probably about the same number as all the agronomist on the golf course jaw boning about how to keep the golf course in good condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibmack View Post
    I wonder how many in this thread are marine biologists and actually know what they are talking about? Probably about the same number as all the agronomist on the golf course jaw boning about how to keep the golf course in good condition.
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Likes Crestliner08, Rees Guide, ibmack LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's a fruitful conversation between those passionate about our resources. I personally have studied the both crappie species intensely and have caught them all my life. Especially, black crappie. As good stewards of the land God blessed us with we should have this conversation. If you don't have anything to add that's fine but I can't understand why you feel the need to post if not adding to the conversation.

Some of us have been very blessed with the gift of catching crappie. We try to help others and be responsible with this gift. We must be good stewards of this gift and be sure to not take advantage of what blessings we receive. As humans we have throughout creation been destroyers and must try to balance our use of nature. I agree there are people such as marine biologist making these decisions but not the only stakeholders. They seek fishermens input because we know what's truly going on with waters we consistently fish. I am very blessed to be able to catch a limit most days and have to cull. It is responsible to consider these factors before culling. Others may not fish as much or be so blessed. In our area of Ga and Fla before any decision is made on fishery management we fisherman and other stakeholders are in involved. Florida has meetings in every region before any statewide change and sends surveys out to all stakeholders. It's is the most fished state but due to great management it still produces some of the finest fishing in the world.
    Likes INTIMIDATOR, barrelslime, short grub, vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Like anything else, there is plenty of research and info on this subject on the old InterWeb! Fish Biologists post their research and work and the work the State is doing on-line...All you have to do is take some time, read, formulate ideas and opinions and then they can be discussed!
    As a fisherman, we all should be informed on issues regarding fishing, the Species, and OUR waterways, and like CrappieLimits stated we should be able to give ideas or help the DNR's make decisions based on our feedback!

I can speak for the SW part of Ohio...we are seeing more and more people fishing...they are mainly fishing for cheap food. For twenty dollars a year, you can go to the neighborhood lake with a cheap rod, reel, bobber and minnows, take the family kids, and fill a basket every day, and go home with plenty of meat.
    In Ohio, (Not counting Lake Erie) we don't have the Massive 40,000 to 100,000+ acre TVA lakes....we have alot of streams, rivers, and 100 to 5000 acre lakes and reservoirs! Ohio stills has a Large Population, our lakes will never be able to sustain this kind of fishing pressure unless they are Managed better...with a small and under-funded ODNR, the fisheries are at the mercy of the fishermen to help them out!
    If we don't discuss and talk about things regarding our lakes, we are not passing on info that may help others to protect their fisheries!
    I gave a idea we came up with on my first post, it helped our local lake...it probably isn't feasible for the Santee Cooper system, but it worked for a 2500 acre lake in SW Ohio just fine. Maybe it will help someone else!

Good Fishing!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You folks south of here at least have a management program, of some kind, in effect to benefit the fishery. Here, we have a management mindset that is dedicated to only one species - trout. Little effort is put into the crappie/panfish fishery. Consequently, when some folks hear about someone making a good catch, the "bucket brigade" emerges and takes out great quantities of these fish. Sometimes to the detriment of the fishery.

Personally, I don't subscribe to keeping my catch. Nature will just have to take care of the rest. For me, it's a lot more fun to try to stalk, catch and release crappie, than it is to clean, store and prepare them for the table. Besides, there's plenty of great eating fish at the supermarket these days, at reasonable prices.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

X with Huntinslabs RR

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many in this thread are marine biologists and actually know what they are talking about?
    I’ve been told I’m a Rocket Scientist does that count?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mother Nature has the top hand in Year Class fish more than us. We are lucky to have great fishery management on KY Lake and Barkley. The Ky and TN marine biologists show up at some of the C. Com "get togethers" and present information about the fisheries and we have a Q and A session. I listen and adhere to what they report. That is why we have creel and size limits. You all need to come to a Ky get together and listen to Mr Paul Rister and Tn has Mr Tim Broadbent. Don't guess, don't BS, be informed.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Mother Nature has the top hand in Year Class fish more than us. We are lucky to have great fishery management on KY Lake and Barkley. The Ky and TN marine biologists show up at some of the C. Com "get togethers" and present information about the fisheries and we have a Q and A session. I listen and adhere to what they report. That is why we have creel and size limits. You all need to come to a Ky get together and listen to Mr Paul Rister and Tn has Mr Tim Broadbent. Don't guess, don't BS, be informed.
    This is the info I prefer to receive, and we have had a TWRA rep speak at our ETCC meetings. However, I still am not completely clear on best practices during the spawn. In East TN, our creel limit is 15 and minimum size is 10". If memory serves, that is different in West TN, at least on Reelfoot? Anyway, should it be business as usual during the spawn, release the females, or what according to these marine biologists? I am genuinely confused now!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast