Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Downsizing for Winter: Open for Debate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I fish smaller year round...a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet. I catch plenty of fish.....crappie......white bass....Smallies.....Gills......spotted bass......trout....but rarely large mouth with it.....but then again I don't target large mouth....but for whatever the reason they don't care for the small bait. Crappie however, love it. My presentation is always extremely slow. I was never taught to do this it is just the way I have been fishing for the past 8 years or so...it has served me well. It is my experience that in winter fish love the smaller presentation. I don't have any empirical evidence of this...just my observation. Before going to strictly UL fishing and micro jigs I would catch crappie with larger baits...but less of them than I do since going with micro jigs.

Regards
    Maybe you just aren't fishing around the largemouths much? I always get a decent amount of largemouths when fishing 1-2" panfish baits. Always fun when fishing 2lb line!
    Likes Crestliner08, sooners08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just try to have small and large baits at all times. Sometimes they just want something small. I don't try to over think it.
    Likes Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I downsize in jig weight but not necessarily in size because the colder the water temp the slower the retrieve needs to be in my opinion. I can retrieve a 1/16 oz jig slower than a 1/8 oz jig and still keep it in the depth that I want fish it in. I feel that slower retrieve means more strikes in colder water. My two cents worth.
    Likes INTIMIDATOR, Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard the shad are large in the winter like you, however I was catfishing last week and caught a bunch of 2-2.5" gizzard and threadfin shad in my castnet. I think a very slow bait is more important in the winter than a tiny bait.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After November, I rarely fish any baits over 1/32 oz. seems like up in my area we catch more and bigger fish this way. I still keep a pole rigged with a bigger jig but they just don't produce like the smaller baits do.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a good thread to read. Much like any of the questions many have asked in the past, it seems the answer is still the same.

Q. <Insert basically any question here>
    A. Find fish. Try this, try that. What worked yesterday may or may not work today. What's "generally the rule, today requires the exception.

Understand thats at a not a slap at anyone who answered. It seems that's the reality and the reflection of the often times fickle temperament of crappie !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elrik View Post
    Maybe you just aren't fishing around the largemouths much? I always get a decent amount of largemouths when fishing 1-2" panfish baits. Always fun when fishing 2lb line!
    Fish in plenty of waters with a ton of large mouth. Trout Magnet is great lure, but in my fishing......5-6 days a week.....unless weather is unbearable...it just won't produce many large mouth. If I want to catch them then can switch to a Slab Magnet....but if any other fish is biting I prefer not to target large mouth. For me 2# test and UL fishing is the only way to go. I fished 21 years in Persian Gulf and Red Sea........throwing lures to fish that had never seen lures. We called it catching instead of fishing.....tons of fish from 20-70 pounds...and sometimes bigger. It was a very enjoyable 21 years. But all I ever thought about was getting back home to retire one day and fish for Gills and crappie. Now I am living the dream. Life is good!

Regards
    Likes Minners N Jigs, sooners08, Dollfly, RCC LIKED above post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123