Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Go to jig color

Post Thanks / Like

Black and chartreuse seams to work every where you go but it's not always be best. It's best to have a good selection of light and dark colors and different styles of bait. Some baits like curly tails give of vibration, tubes and minnow type baits like Bobby garlands don't put out much vibration. As far as colors all that have been mentioned are good you'll just have to find out what works for you pretty soon you will find your favorite color.

Post Thanks / Like

The first ones I'm gonna try when I get to the lake are red/chartreuse, pink chartreuse, and black/chartreuse.

If they don't bite one of those I'm usually pretty much screwed.

Post Thanks / Like

The color isn't as important as consistantly getting it in front of fish. THIS saying holds true' "you can fish the right bait in the wrong place all day and not catch anything, but the wrong bait in the right place will catch some"
    Sarge

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    The color isn't as important as consistantly getting it in front of fish. THIS saying holds true' "you can fish the right bait in the wrong place all day and not catch anything, but the wrong bait in the right place will catch some"
    EXACTLY I tell folks this alot and don't waste time changing colors but use my time looking for fish . Really most guys will agree to some extent it is light or dark more than specific colors. But minnows , jigs , nibbles or whatever in any combination or singley are useless if your not presenting them to the fish . presentation and location lots more important than color .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I remember taking a newspaper guy fishing once that was not catching fish . He said ''hey you gave me the wrong color jig '' I asked to see the jig pole he was using . He says '' you gonna change my jig ?'' i say no as I handed him the jig pole I was using . Then went right back to pulling in Crappie . He said then ''guess it was not the color of jig ''. My theory is if your changing colors alot you are wasting valuable fishing time lowering your chances of catching fish. I know guys that swear by certain color plastics on certain painted jig heads down to certain color eyes . I use unpainted jig heads pushed in to tubes . Was kidding one guy that swore eyes on a jig helped that I did not want eyes on mine cause did not want for jig to see fish coming at it . When really unpainted heads cheaper and placed inside instead of on rear of jig head holds then on lots better . Only draw back it is more trouble to change colors but that goes back to '' why keep changing colors '' ?

Sorry for such a long rambling post .
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    EXACTLY I tell folks this alot and don't waste time changing colors but use my time looking for fish . Really most guys will agree to some extent it is light or dark more than specific colors. But minnows , jigs , nibbles or whatever in any combination or singley are useless if your not presenting them to the fish . presentation and location lots more important than color .
    Very much agree.

Post Thanks / Like

very, very seldom do I have anything on the end of my line other than a lead head jig with black/chartreuse or purple/chartreuse. no minners, no nibbles, no constant changing. learned a bit listening to Nimrod.
    Likes NIMROD, RCC LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

when changing colors or styles of plastic- it is normally after I have worked a school or brush pile over pretty good with my starting color and Im trying to trigger a few more bites from fish who have already seen my 1st color. that is when you are starting to figure out the pattern within the pattern you have already established.
    this can also be done with jighead weights, sometimes they want it falling slower or faster. usually the key to this is you are getting bit on the initial drop but nothing while deadsticking. usually in this situation if the water is clear I will use a heavier jig, in stained to muddy I will go lighter. If while graphing a brushpile and you notice fish suspended over the top of the brush, these are normally very aggressive and they are in feeling mode and probably want it moving, if they are mixed within the brush they are in a negative mood and will most likey want it dead still. my
    Sarge

Likes Tony the Tiger, RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Any color as long as you have some chartreuse.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use 1/8 or heavier lead heads . But I use 2 or 2.5'' larger tubes . I verticle jig and can control rate of drop / fall. It helps as heavier jigs keep in contact with jig more and the bigger hooks land more fish in my opinion . Verticle jigging allows you to fish brush top to the bottom , moving or dead sticking baits
    Takeum Jigs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast