HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drop shot rig questions...

Post Thanks / Like

thx,
    it's pretty easy to put the bait keeper on. just sand the hook a little in that area. you can buy 3' lengths
    of small dia. wire from a hobby shop. use like a 12'' piece of wire to start, and just solder that onto the hook, and just clip off the length you want your bait keeper to be....
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a circle hook or octopus hook, the fish sets the hook for you. You just reel them in when you feel the weight on your line.

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

We drop shot in the heads of the tidal rivers here in winter , put a 1/4 oz . weight on bottom come up 18" put a 1/32 jig head another 18" up another 1/32 jighead and put different plastics on em mostly use 2 1/2" fin-s in limetruese or smelt . usually hold it still or just slight jigging motion weight for tap or sometimes watch line move sideways

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I save my old 1/4 oz jigs that have bent hooks or have lost all the paint. Just cut the hook off and I have a drop shot weight.
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigfisherx View Post
    I save my old 1/4 oz jigs that have bent hooks or have lost all the paint. Just cut the hook off and I have a drop shot weight.
    well thats a good idea

Post Thanks / Like

Time of year and fish species approach drop shot set ups differently,at least for me they have.Winter time gills seem to hug the mud in the deep freeze,I fish much closer to the bottom,often just above the bottom,be it mud,weeds or other debri.I use a double dropshot when fishing winter trout,the bottom hook about 8-10 "above the sinker,the top hook 14-16" above the sinker.Eight out of ten trout I catch with the double hook,I catch on the bottom hook.That said,try several ways,and find what works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the drop shot presentation (for over about a dozen years now) mostly for smallmouth bass, when fishing off-shore structures. I've have had success using it for crappie as well, but haven't found the need to resort to this finesse tactic very often. Rarely are crappie so finicky as to having to resort to using it.

However, that being said, I can offer a few tips that may improve your success with this presentation. First, I have never found that circle hooks work all that well with either bass or crappie, when used on a drop shot rig. I've always had my best results (hook-ups) with the tried & true Gamakatsu Drop Shot hook. Reason being is that the point of this particular hook is straight, not curved in like a beak. This drives the point into the mouth of the game fish, vs driving it in and back out again (following the curvature of the beak point).

Next, I would recommend a simple, straight tailed plastic, such as the BGBS series. And just nose hook it. When drop shotting it is desirable to mimic a vulnerable minnow, unaware of the predator's presence. This plastic does just that, as I'm sure most other straight tails do as well.

Finally, the biggest mistake most drop shotters make is to worry about movement of the bait. Don't be. Move it as little as possible. I lower the rig to the bottom, take up slack so that I know where the bait is in the water column, then I lower it just a tad to take off the pressure on the line. This gives the bait a freer movement in the water, allowing it to take advantage of the currents (which there always is). This minute movement and the subtleness of the straight tailed plastics, will ensure the bait is moving as it should. Extremely productive, regardless of the species of fish you are targeting.

I hope this is of some help.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks shipahoy41 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE]I have never found that circle hooks work all that well with either bass or crappie, when used on a drop shot rig.[/QUOTE]

Circle hooks don't work if you try to set the hook as with other types of hooks. The hooks set themselves if you let them. "Different strokes for different folks". Whatever works for any person is what works best.

Merry Christmas!!!

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

'Crestliner08', i aggree with you, good tips.
    i drop shot smallies with KVD caffiene shads like in the pic.
    i never thought of rigging the same way for crappie. i always use a Aberdeene hook.
    but i should get better action rigged on a drop shot hook.

i would never use a weighted jig for drop shotting either. unless it caught fish.
    it's just going to hang vertical...

i hook them like this up into the nose. they stay horizontal in the water. there's a couple of examples. you can see hooked another way, how they sag in water.

thats a #1 vmc spinshot on a 2.25'' shad.
    i make my own spin shot style hooks on bigger hooks like in pic with the KVD shad.

i also use a heavier weight, so i can keep the bait limp for good action, but i can feel
    weight real easy when i want to get the line taunt, without pulling the weight off the bottom. real easy to feel even in 25 fow.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by naturenut; 12-20-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gamakatsu makes excellent drop shot hooks. The Vmc spin shots do prevent all the line twist though. Both work great and give good hook sets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast