Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maribou jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I have heard that cold weather is the time to throw a Maribou jig, has anyone found this to be true?
    I've found the fish really like them when water temps are under 90 degress. Not sure I've managed to find any warmer water to fish them in, yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie just flat out love marabou. I find myself fishing plastics more in the warmer months of the year, but marabou does work year round.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

winter does seem kinda like the time to drop feathers to me .....
    but i have buds that only drop feather jigs year round
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

2015 marked the year of the Marabou jig for Teamasgrow. Fall of 2014 I began tying marabou jigs as a project that evolved into a full blown hobby. I made it my business to fish them nearly exclusively in 2015. I still found a few times when I had to run plastics on a rod. I casted, drifted, fished under floats, fished tandem jigs on a line. All had their place and it seemed that the marabou jigs worked effectively in all cases. I personally enjoy drifting my little boat with 3 rods (legal limit in IA) a different jig on each and see what is working. I can't wait to get back after it in 2016!
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I have heard that cold weather is the time to throw a Maribou jig, has anyone found this to be true?
    Marabou has a very subtle action that is perfect for cold water and inactive fish. As noted above, though, they work year round.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them all year long. Not just winter.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

over 50 years fishing with marabou jags are caught every species of fish that you could imagine including trout steelhead in they are excellent for shooting docs I simply cast them out and let them sink and then give the twitch with the rod and reel back to you may very this speed depending on how the patient wanted for Senate some days they do not want no action at all the other good thing is to fish them underneath a bomber .

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think im gonna try them again when i go back. Im starting to understand a little more about what to do with them. I'm tempted to tie one on a cane pole and just drop it off in the trees and bushes along the river bank.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

An excellent choice there. In colder water just try to hold them still, which no one can do. That subtle action and lack of movement makes an easy meal they don't have to chase. A plus when the temps have them lethargic. You probably already know that when we fish under a bobber to inactive or light bite fish, the bobber will only bounce once in response to the thump we would feel. It will just sit after that and if you don't set the hook he will spit it and you won't get that one. If it does anything you didn't tell it to do, set the hook.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes snake River, chaunc, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123