Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alfalfa hay

Post Thanks / Like

Alfalfa may be the "cream of the crop" in the hay world, but anything will work. Fescue may not be quite as nice as the alfalfa, but it will produce the microorganisms and the zooplankton. Just not as much
    Likes scrat, Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Alfalfa may be the "cream of the crop" in the hay world, but anything will work. Fescue may not be quite as nice as the alfalfa, but it will produce the microorganisms and the zooplankton. Just not as much
    You answered the questions perfectly...If you can get Alfalfa at a decent price, or one you are comfortable with, go ahead and use the best! Alfalfa has the highest nutritional valve (Sugars, proteins, etc) of any hay, and can supply a higher density of micro-organisms for a longer period.
    I could find very little scientific research of aquatic uses of hay, except that it is used as a very large, super dense, feeding station...but it seems that aquarists are leading the charge and using alfalfa cubes to establish/feed beneficial bacteria and micro-organisms for a healthy tank and fry production...aquarium fry need all the micro-organisms for growth just like fry/baitfish in our lakes.

Confusing to people is the effect of certain kinds of hay to clear algae from ponds...the difference is the hay for this use has to be loosely bagged/etc, so it can decompose evenly...in this case it does not provide food and grow algae, it produces 2% hydrogen peroxide THAT KILLS ALGAE!

I think Bama will like his results...and I have plenty of chicken wire to reinforce my bales like he did!
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 11-14-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    I can still get it for $2.50 per bale around here SW Ohio!
    It would be worth my while to drive to SW Ohio!!!!! I am paying $7 a bale here in SEMO and I have to feed it year around, sand SUCKS with no water on it and 5 head of horses munching on what pasture I do have.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first ive ever heard of this. Where did you get the info on this? We are trying to remove a bunch of crappie out of my pond. If this help bunch up the crappie we can get more of them out. Trying to remove at least 1000 out of pond. just for starters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndeere5045 View Post
    This is the first ive ever heard of this. Where did you get the info on this? We are trying to remove a bunch of crappie out of my pond. If this help bunch up the crappie we can get more of them out. Trying to remove at least 1000 out of pond. just for starters
    JD
    This is mainly to set up feeding stations for Baitfish/etc, then to draw Crappie in to feed on the Minnows/etc...the problem in your pond is that most, if not all, of the baitfish population (FOOD) has been eaten by the over population of Crappie....then the Crappie have no food and they stunt...the only real food they will have is fry from their own spawns (until they grow too big) or micro-organisms and insects, which will pretty much only keep them alive!

Once you get the Crappie Population thinned out, you will have to add minnows/etc...then you can add bales to feed the food chain (micro-organisms, minnows, worms, etc), but along with this, you will have to provide plenty of cover for baitfish/minnows/etc, so their population can get established and grow....or you will be caught in the same vicious CRAPPIE OVER-POPULATION STUNTED CYCLE!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johndeere5045 View Post
    I've never heard of it either. I've heard of people baiting holes with dog food, etc. (not sure if legally or illegally) but never using Alfalfa bales. Wheat straw is pretty easy to come by around here. Would that work???

Post Thanks / Like

The benefits of using wheat straw would be so low as to be un-noticeable. Hay is cut at it's prime....very high in nutrients, vitamins, proteins, etc, while straw is just the leftovers from a wheat crop.....there is no food value in wheat and it is only used as bedding for animals or mulch in a garden. As it deteriorates, I'm sure wheat straw would have some micro-organisms, but nothing like the explosion of organisms from good hay. Is it baiting? Doubtful. It is baiting the bait of the bait's bait, wayyyy at the tiniest part of the food chain.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting vic n. I had no idea this was used.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    I can still get it for $2.50 per bale around here SW Ohio!
    We pay more for sage grass or straw a bale ! I hear Alfalfa is way past 10 bucks !
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    We pay more for sage grass or straw a bale ! I hear Alfalfa is way past 10 bucks !
    Like I said, Alfalfa grows easily around here...EVERY Farmer in the area has a field set aside for it...normally around here it is hardy and regrows for 20 or more years, it can be cut up to 4 times a year...it can also be a rotated crop to add nitrogen back into the soil for corn/etc.
    Several of my friends farm thousands of acres, they rotate alfalfa but also have long-standing fields of it to feed their animals, then they leave the last stand up for Winter, to attract deer etc.
    Normally I can get bales for free, but they charge me $2.50 if I want more than 10...I have been buying about 30 bales a year and corn for a dollar a bushel to feed my friends (you never know when you want the taste of fresh venison).
    I have a 2 mile by 2 mile woods across the road and hundreds of acres of farm fields on each side of it...we have 2 herds of 20+ deer that live on the sides and in the woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 11-18-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes "G", BAMA S, scrat, riptide, RetiredRR LIKED above post

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast