Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHY ?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ky marine biologist Paul Rister wrote about this phenomenon. There exists 2 groups of fish. Shallow water and deep water breeds of the same species. Also keep in mind that fish seldom roam more than 1-1/2 miles from place of spawn. I believe this as I live on Ky Lake and am witness to it. Fish tracked by radio seem to confirm this. Tim Broadbent, also a marine biologist, confirmed the roaming range of most crappie.

I will ask him again about this phenomenon at the KY Crappie Camp next Saturday (if I remember).
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good info in this thread. Thanks for sharing.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Ky marine biologist Paul Rister wrote about this phenomenon. There exists 2 groups of fish. Shallow water and deep water breeds of the same species. Also keep in mind that fish seldom roam more than 1-1/2 miles from place of spawn. I believe this as I live on Ky Lake and am witness to it. Fish tracked by radio seem to confirm this. Tim Broadbent, also a marine biologist, confirmed the roaming range of most crappie.

I will ask him again about this phenomenon at the KY Crappie Camp next Saturday (if I remember).
    There is actually 3 groups of fish of the same species...there is the Pelagic fish, that inhabit the middle of the water column in lakes, oceans, etc...they stay neither close to the bottom or surface.

We have found in our lake, through studies and tracking, that BIG Crappie that are 14 to 17+ inches, will form schools with WB and Walleye, and just follow large schools of shad all over the lake.
    These schools act like Tuna following schools of Menhaden, etc, through the Ocean.
    Big Crappie in our lake of 2500+ acres, really have no predators...Our lake only has Channels and they normally only hit 10 lbs....Walleye will not take on a Crappie that size because they like narrow soft rayed fish like perch, or shad. We have also caught HUGE Crappie in WolfPacks of Smallmouth Bass in the Fall!
    You will find these roaming schools of Big fish in the North end of the lake and a day later, in the South end...they are constantly on the move with the Shad.
    The benefit to the School is the YOUNG WB...they are the show-offs that every day or night rush in and decimate the shad...they hit the shad over and over injuring or wounding them...then the larger fish move in a get their fill of easy "Sushi"!

My point is, that every lake can have an entirely different set-up, and you have to know and understand those differences!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Just another great thread on an awesome website. So glad i found this place.

Thanks guys.

I only fish The Coon cause that's where I keep my toon.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting information and for sure the part about the 2 different water depth followers makes great sense
    it may even apply to what I am seeing ...thanks for the reads yawl ...
    gots to love a spot like this forum where folks post up good information .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12