Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting backing/casting line on a spinning reel - a new way to spool

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a suggestion. When the line starts "looking" a little old, walk it off your reel and reel it on from the used end. Or reel it on to another reel. This puts the new unexposed stuff on the outside. String lasts twice as long.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes Redge, "G", theygotaeat LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Been doing that for years and years Danny.....great tip
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things i like about light tackle panfishing is you can use small reels that hold a hundred yards or less of the line used. High capacity reels used for heavy fishing applications essentially demand a backer.Of course using that technique on reels traditionally not thought of as needing backing...is not a bad idea.I have found that some light action spinning reels have such a good spool design that it allows you to fish with less line on the spool and still cast good,so on those that only hold 100 yards or less I generally just spool them all the way with the "good" line. If I do hook a bigger fish that has the potential to take a lot of line by drag I do prefer to have a full spool of the preferred line.

But your point is valid and the above points I mentioned have little to do with traditional crappie fishing methods but more multi species fishing and casting. And some small reels especially bait casting or revolving spool type hold a lot of line and can benefit from a backer.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never take all my line off. No reason to. I just tie splice and spool more on.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "D", SeaRay LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use backer on fly reels and my bass baitcasters under braid.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

I read a trick somewhere about using electrical tape as your backer then putting your length of braid on. I haven't tried this yet but seemed like a great idea to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    i've put a piece of tape over the knot where you join the two lines, and it's worked well.

I've also skipped the part of using line for backing, and applied thin strips of mylar to a empty spool.
    keep building up the mylar to your desired depth.
    Now that sounds like an excellent idea! one I will try. Mylar tape?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Now that sounds like an excellent idea! one I will try. Mylar tape?
    i have sheets of mylar in different thickness.
    stuff i used was .005 thick. i cut strips the width of the spool and about 16'' long. tape one end down to the empty spool and
    wrap it around the spool, then tape that end. the spool gets a little wider away from center, so i cut the next strip a little wider, and wrap another one on. so on, until you fill the spool up to your desired needs....

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad reel manufactures aren't in bed with line companies to make anglers use more line that never gets used in the case of plastic lines. Braid can at least be respooled on another spool by taking the used end and tying it on another spool at it's base. Where can I buy mylar tape? Never heard of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad reel manufactures are in bed with line companies to make anglers use more line that never gets used as in the case of filling the spool with plastic lines. Braid can at least be re-spooled on another spool by taking the used end and tying it on another spool at it's base. No plastic line will come off a spool after a month without coils. Some have suggested soaking used line in warm water to reduce memory. Hasn't worked for me.

Is Mylar a better choice than other tapes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast